Chapter Twenty Four

Chapter 24

A few days later...

"Berossi! You have a visitor." A guard called.

Cornelia Berossi, formerly known as the mystery woman made her way over to the telephone station, wondering who would be visiting her, she had no family and her team had abandoned her. She was surprised to see Jonathan waiting for her by the phone. She sat down behind the glass and picked up the phone. "Hello Cornelia. That's a lovely colour on you." He smirked.

Cornelia rolled her pale blue eyes, "What do you want Jonathan?"

"Well, I have always wanted to see what it's like being on the other side of this place." His smirk turned to a frown, "And I came to say goodbye."

"Goodbye?"

"You see, you were such an obsession for my life at one point that, it didn't seem right to leave without a proper happy ending."

Cornelia scoffed, "Happy ending?"

Jonathan raised an eyebrow and smirked, "Of course, this is me and my family's happy ending. I'm done with you. You, behind bars with no legs left to stand on and... the odds of you getting out... are near impossible. Even if you did, you'd have a real tough time readjusting to society."

She raised an eyebrow, "How are you so sure?"

"Oh, because you see," He held up a newspaper with not only a picture of him and Cam having been reunited but a very clear picture of Cornelia's mug shot in the corner, "The whole world knows who you are now." Cornelia's eyes widened as she looked at the newspaper, "There's no more hiding for you. Time to face the spotlight."

"Why did you do this?" She whispered as her nostrils flared.

"Oh, I didn't do anything" Jonathan said putting the paper down, "I mean, with one of the Blancs having been taken to jail for murder of a civilian, the kidnapping and attempted murder of an FBI agent and that's just naming a few, the article practically wrote itself."

Cornelia sighed, "I wish you understood."

"If you wanna be mad at someone, be mad at yourself." The former mystery woman gave Jonathan a confused look and Johnny could help but... feel sorry for her, her life wasn't easy and she clearly had problems that went beyond her hatred of his father but she had made her choices, "Look, you're smart. Probably one of the smartest people I've ever met but you made one fatal mistake. You messed with my family. Now you have to answer for everything you've ever done."

"You don't understand, my mother made me who I am, I had to do things that no child should have to do."

"So did I, so did Cam, so did a lot of other people in this world but they don't all turn into psychopath killers who toy with people's emotions and purposely ruin lives in the name of the greater good. Along the way, you start making your own choices."

"People like our parents treated us like they could bend us to their will and never let us choose who we wanted to be." She took a deep breath, "And when I finally found you again, I realized that it was our turn to win."

"But you became a villain." He chuckled grimly, "Because that's what people like you do, your happiness has to come at the expense of others and that's why you could never be happy."

"But we understood each other."

"You don't know me. You never did. You thought you did but you didn't. You didn't know it was me you were looking for." Jonathan stated bluntly, "You had thought you were looking for Cameron, that's why you framed me for murder."