Chapter 13

Olivia:

Today was Saturday and I was hanging out with Courtney and her dog at her place. Shayne had left last night to go out of town so I decided to keep company so I wouldn't think about him too much. So far it wasn't working. Sure Courtney and I were talking and watching TV but, every now and then I would think of Shayne. I just couldn't get him off of my mind.

"Liv?" Courtney asked.

I hadn't realized that I'd spaced out again.

"Yeah?" I said.

"What's going on with you?" She asked.

"What do you mean?" I said trying not to talk about it.

"You've been acting strange all day" Courtney pointed out.

"I don't know what you're talking about" I rebuffed.

"C'mon Liv, I'm your best friend, I know when something's going on" She said.

I could tell she wasn't going to let it go. I wanted to tell her but I couldn't. Shayne and I agreed not to tell anyone. It hurt having to leave your friends in the dark. If I couldn't tell her the truth maybe I could tell her a partial truth.

"Sam and I broke up" I confessed.

"Aww, are you ok?" She asked.

"Yeah, I've been trying to act normal but it's hitting me hard" I lied.

"When did you guys split?" She asked.

"Last week" I said.

That was a lie. It had been months since I broke up with Sam. It had been months since Shayne and I started seeing each other. Of course I couldn't tell her that though.

"I'm sorry" She said.

"It's fine, it's not your fault" I said.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Courtney said.

"Thanks but I'd rather not" I said.

"Ok, do you want to watch a movie or something?" She asked.

"Uh sure" I said.

Courtney went to her room to grab her phone and look up a movie while I stayed on the couch. I pulled out my phone to see if Shayne had texted or called me. So far he hadn't texted since before he left on the plane. I know it might sound like I'm clingy but I'm just so used to him being there recently. Ever since the break up he has been taking care of me. I feel like he is my rock and looks out for me. He knows just what to say and when to say it. That's part of the reason I fell for him. When he is gone it's like a part  of my protection is gone. While scrolling through Instagram I did see that he posted a picture of him in nature. I left a comment on it like I usually do. Hopefully he would see it and dm or text me. Courtney came back out of the room with her phone after I turned on the TV. She put some movie on about wars in space or something like that. I was too focused on waiting for a notification on my phone to pay attention to anything happening in the movie. My phone vibrated halfway through. I peeked and saw it was Shayne calling me. I made and excuse to Courtney and locked myself in her bathroom.

"Hi" I said answering the phone.

"Hey" Shayne said.

I could tell without seeing that he was smiling. This made me grin a little bit.

"How are you doing?" He asked.

"I'm ok, I miss you though" I said.

"I miss you too" He said.

"How's your day been?" I asked.

"Good, we had a barbeque and then went hiking" Shayne said.

"Sounds like fun" I said.

"Yeah, what about you?" He asked.

"I've been keeping busy with Courtney" I said.

"Cool" He said.

I was about to say something before there was a knock on the bathroom door. I quickly hung up the phone and unlocked the door. Courtney was on the other side.

"Liv you're gonna miss the movie" She said.

"Sorry, I uh was washing my hands" I lied.

I followed her back out to the living room and sat on the couch. Courtney sat on the couch next to me and started the movie again. Shortly after she started it again, my phone vibrated. I peeked again and saw Shayne sent me a text.

-Shayne
Talk to you soon ❤️

I put my phone away with a smile on my face. Thankfully Courtney didn't notice.