Chapter 10

Kennedy avoided Ian the first couple of days choosing to hole up in her bedroom under the pretense she was studying for finals.

   When he finally made the time to visit,  Kennedy didn't mention what her sister had seen, choosing instead to allow Ian to tell her on his own time, allowing her anger to fester.

   Debbie had blown up with an excited squeal (that had Fiona spilling pasta on the ground) when Kennedy informed her that she would be finding out the baby's gender in another week at her next doctor's visit.

   "I hope it's a girl, I don't really want a nephew because I've already got too many boys around." Debbie wrinkled her nose and whined as Ian grabbed her after hearing her statement, planting a kiss on the side of his sister's head and squeezing her tightly.

"I don't really care which gender it is, just so long as it's healthy." Kennedy smiled at the bulge that was her stomach while Ian released Debbie, "God, I'm getting fat." She sighed, stretching out her legs from underneath the Gallagher kitchen table.

"For the last time babe, you're not fat." Ian rolled his eyes as Kennedy shook her head with a pout, resting her face on her fist.

"Yes, I am. And I'm getting more stretch marks and you won't want me when I'm a fat Jersey dairy cow." She sniffed and Ian winced, the hormonal mood swings worked in his favor and sometimes they didn't (when they were in his favor, she was horny and wild as a mare and used her dad's credit card to book them a suit at the Four Seasons ).

"Would you cheer up if I took you out to get a pint of strawberry ice cream?" Ian raised a brow and Kennedy smiled sweetly, wiping her tears immediately.

"I thought you'd never ask. You're driving!" She laughed tossing him her car keys and  dragged Ian outside to her car, slipping into the passenger seat and practically bouncing with excitement.

  Ian loved Kennedy, but he also loved cherry red Tesla that rarely got driven into the South Side for fear of getting stolen. So when he got the opportunity to drive, he never declined.

  The closest stop was the Kash and Grab, much to Kennedy's annoyance. When they entered the store, Kash was behind the counter and Kennedy completely ignored him, heading to the freezer section to pick out her ice cream (and a bag of pizza flavored Pringles that she intended to throw at Ian's head).

   Pregnancy brain appeared to be a real thing, because all of a sudden there was yelling and a gunshot went off, causing her to jump, dropping the ice cream and run to the front of the store, the fear of Ian being hurt her only thought and concern.

   Instead, but just as horrifying, Mickey was on the ground, clutching his leg while Kash held a gun, shocked, hand shaking. Ian hovered over Mickey while yelling at Kennedy to call an ambulance, much to Micky's protests.

   After the police and ambulance arrived, Mickey was transported to a hospital where after he was looked over and stitched, would be transported to a juvenile dentition center.

   After giving their own statements, Ian drove Kennedy back to his house, the two silent the entire ride until they pulled up in front of the Gallagher house.

   "I know you've been fooling around with Mickey," She blurted and Ian froze and opened his mouth, but she held up a manicured hand, "Don't lie to me like you tried to with Kash. I'm getting pretty sick of this Ian. Since we've been together I haven't even looked at another guy. I've been as devoted to you as much as a wife would and you treat me like this? I mean, what kind of man are you going to become?" She snapped, all the pent up emotions coming to a head, "What is wrong with me?" She asked sadly, clutching her hands to her heart and Ian reached over to pull her into his arms.

  "I'm sorry Kennedy..... God, you deserve so much better than me. Our baby deserves better than me." Ian mumbled into her curls and she gripped his jacket.

  ''Shut up Ian. God, you're such an asshole.'' She smacked him hard on the shoulder.

  ''I know. I'm so-'' Kennedy raised her hand to hit him again and Ian kept his mouth shut wisely.

'' If you have any brain cells left from smoking pot with Lip, then you better listen closely. I'm tired of you apologizing for everything Ian and thinking that it's going to just make everything disappear. You really need to get your act together. We are having a child. You wanted to be involved and maintain our relationship, but so far all you've done is stress me out, piss me off, break my heart and make me question my own intelligence for being with a cheater.'' Ian looked at Kennedy with hurtful green eyes that sent a pang of guilt through her, but it quickly exhausted as fast as it came.

  ''I won't let it happen again. I know I don't have any excuses, but things have just been so difficult lately with the whole baby thing, and my mom coming back to take Liam...'' Ian ran a hand down his face and Kenndy shook her head.

''No, no. You don't get to have excuses. I'm carrying a life inside of me and I'm scared. I'm so scared Ian. I know I make it seem like I've got it all together, but I don't. I have to push a human being out of my body and worry and care for it for the rest of my life. I have to finish school and find out my career path and I don't even know who I am. I was supposed to go searching to find myself, but I'm putting everything on hold because I love this baby more than anything in the world. I can't just abandon it. So if you wanna go out there and be a manwhore and fuck whatever walks down the street with a dick, go. There's the door, you can leave.'' By this point, tears were cascading down her caramel colored cheeks.

   ''Don't say that. I hate it when you say crap like that. I'm not leaving you, Kennedy. I'm not perfect, but I'm not leaving you. I love you.''Ian explained seriously and Kennedy nodded before suddenly gasping, holding her stomach.

''What? What's wrong?!'' Ian sat up frazzled and grabbing Kennedy who let out a breath, and stared down at her stomach.

  ''It felt it kick..'' She whispered and reached out to take Ian's freckled hand and placed it on her swollen stomach.

After a few moments, a quick fluttering movement went across Kennedy's stomach making both parents gasp before grinning at each other.

  ''Wow.'' Ian laughed happily and Kennedy joined in.

   Maybe they would be okay.

Kennedy smiled when her OB/GYN  walked into the room, closing the door behind him and Ian sat up straighter.

''Ah Kennedy, great to see you and this must be Ian right? Dr. Jones,'' The older grey haired man offered his hand to the teenager who stood, shaking it politely ''Alright kids, are we ready to find out the gender today?'' Dr. Jones smiled as the two vigorously nodded and he got to work with a chuckle.

  ''Ok Kennedy, this may be a little cold.'' Kennedy shivered as the OB/GYN poured a thick jelly-like substance over her stomach and rubbed the wand over her stomach. ''Ok, everything looks good, and here's the heartbeat.''

The room went silent, save for the machines and the steady thumping of a heartbeat echoed off the walls and Ian felt his heart stop.

He'd never been to one of Kennedy's appointments and this was actually the first time he was hearing his child's heartbeat.

  ''Ok, looking good.... alright, so it seems that you two are going to be the proud parents of a little-''