Chapter 22

Ian and Kennedy, and more so the latter, were too invested emotionally in their current relationships to simply cut off all contact with their significant others. It would take time and knowing the other would wait, they moved slowly.

After spending Christmas morning with her family, Kennedy drove with Shiloh down to the Gallagher house with her sister Delilah who held presents in her arms.

     It was Debbie who opened the front door, a smile growing on her face when she laid eyes on the presents. "Merry Christmas." The sisters chimed as Debbie stepped aside to let them in and out of the cold.

"Merry Christmas." Debbie's He's was still locked on the presents and Daisy fished about before handing Debbie hers "Thanks, hey Carl look what I got!" She bragged, moving further into the house with a smirk.

  "What's all this?" Fiona came out of the kitchen in her pajamas a confused look on her face.

"Merry Christmas, this is for you miss Fiona...." Delilah handed the eldest Gallagher a small wrapped present. Curious, Fiona unwrapped the present, and opened the small box revealing a pair of diamond studs.

"Oh my God. Delilah, Kennedy, I.... I can't accept these..... They're too extravagant....." Fiona shook her head but stared at the sparkling earrings longingly.

  "Shut up and take the present Gallagher." Kennedy pushed the gift back and the older girl looked at her through teary eyes before pulling both women in for a hug, careful not to squish Shiloh.

  "Thank you both..."

   "What up Delilah you're looking fine this Christmas morning mama." Carl, in all his cornroll glory strolled down the stairs, giving the older Brewer a wink.

"Hi Carl, Merry Christmas." She looked at the teenager amused.

  "You know, age is really just a number. I could take you out to this fly spot and we could chill." Carl offered, and Kennedy snorted.

"In your dreams short stuff." She slapped his cheek softly and looked Ian, and she spotted a flash of red hair walking in the kitchen and she took his gift from her sister and headed for him.

"Merry Christmas Ian." She whispered behind his back, admiring his lean fit figure.

  Ian turned and grinned leaning down to kiss her forehead  before grinning at Shiloh. "Say Merry Christmas to Daddy bubba. Say Merry Christmas." Kennedy cooed and Shiloh gave Ian a three toothed smile.

"Mwerry Christams Daddy." He babbled, reaching out for Ian who took him into his arms with a chuckle.

"Thanks sweetheart." Ian kissed the baby's head and bounced him as he turned his attention to Kennedy who was holding something out to him.

Handing Shiloh to Debbie who was walking by, Ian took the gift. He furred his brows at the book shaped object and tore the paper off, his heart softening at the cover.

"My Baby Book" was titled over a drawing of Peter Rabbit hugging his mother.

Ian opened the book, his eyes gliding over the multiple photos of Mateo, a few contained himself and his family, but there were more recent ones of Shiloh in New York, with captions like "Mateo's first trip to the zoo, Shi's first strawberry" etc. he had missed so much of his son's life and he wishes more than anything he could have been there.

"Kennedy...." He started, looking up at the girl who smiled sadly.

"It's okay, I have another copy, I had that one made for you a week ago. I figured because you guys obviously don't have any baby books about your own lives, that you'd like one for your son." She shrugged nonchalantly as though it wasn't a big deal but Ian knew it was.