Chapter 38

The steady tick from within the glass case of the grandfather clock was the only audible noise in the room while Kennedy's father looked over the case report silently.

"One of my colleagues said he  is willing to represent Ian," Fiona and Kennedy visibly relaxed while Ian looked on emotionlessly as Stefan addressed them  "and, as a favor to me, he's willing to lower the standard price we charge." Fiona who has begun to relax tensed again, big brown eyes dejected and tired.

  "How much?" The dark-haired beauty asked, already having a rough idea it was going to be way beyond their price range.

The older man glanced at his daughter who sat in between the two Gallagher's. How different the two of them were. When he'd met Kennedy's mother she dressed somewhat similar to Fiona, and after they were married and he joined a well established law firm, he gave her everything she wished.

  She was a good woman, she never forgot where she came from and never overly spoiled their girls. She hadn't wanted their girls to grow up thinking everyone was goin to love them, but rather caring about if others would be treating them right.

Fiona, for all her hard work and loveliness, had the strains of age on her pretty face, the youthful light that his darling wife managed to keep aflame all those years was burnt out on the young woman before him.

Sighing, he gave her a sympathetic glance "$30,000." Fiona looked as though she was about to vomit, faint, cry or do a combination of all three and Kennedy glanced at her worriedly, taking her hand.

  "We/we can't possibly afford that...." she whispered and Kennedy glanced at her father who leaned back in his chair, tiredly.

  "That's the best we can offer with a good lawyer that can maybe get him off with probation. I'm sorry dear, but that's the best I can get you." Thomas was truly sorry for the girl.

"I don't even have a clue as to where we'll get that kind of money." Fiona laughed bitterly and wiped her eyes completely overwhelmed.

"I'll pay for it." Three pairs of eyes stared at Kennedy in disbelief and bemusement.

"Kennedy where on earth would you get that kind of money?" Thomas furrowed his brows at his daughter.

  "Take it out of my share of your stocks or part of my inheritance Daddy." She pleaded as her father shook his head, a deep frown on his face.

"No Kennedy I can't let you do this...." She glanced at Ian who reached over to take her hand and she frowned.

"Ian... I can't see you locked away rotting in prison." Her eyes began to tear up as he squeezed her hand lightly with a sad smile.

  "It's okay. I'd rather you spend the money on you and Shi. Who knows, I might even win the case." He tried to joke but the smile fell once he saw the tears welling in her eyes "Baby......"

  "No. You don't get to do this. You don't get to leave me like this. Not like this." She shook her head, glaring  when her father tried to touch her arm across the desk "Daddy please."

"Honey, we'll try the best we can, but there are videos of him damaging property. From what I've discussed with my colleagues, Ian's best chance is to plead for temporary insanity." Ian's grip on her hand tightened.

  "Yes-"

  "No."

  Thomas Fiona, and Ian all stared at Kennedy with looks of disbelief, surprise and for Ian, appreciation.

"I won't see him in a hospital again. You'd be miserable in there," Kennedy turned to Ian, touching his cheek, "when you get out, we're going to find you a good proper doctor who will help you get better." She stroked his face and he covered her hand with his own, eyes warm.