When the freaks come out

Sorry for the late update. I've been lacking motivation and going through a lot of up and downs through the past week. Unedited as usual.

There was banging on my door and the doorbell was being frantically rung. As of late, I stayed beneath the covers and waited for someone else to get it but my family wasn't home. My phone was vibrating but I knew I should attend the to the door first. Painfully dragging my numb feet to the door, I'm shocked by the sight.

Angela.

"Angie, what's wrong?" I ask, panicked. Not another Devon. I frantically search her facea for any bruises or scars and sigh in relief when I find nothing except the tears and red eyes. Her hair is messy and soaking as if she's been running her hand through her hair repeatedly. It would be a bad time to point out she looked absolutely adorable.

"Skylar, I don't know what to do! Jamie... b-beach and Damien... contacts, lost!" She's stuttering and making wild hand gestures, chocking on her tears.

"Angela, slowly this time." I say slowly as I'm suddenly clutched with fear.

She takes a deep shaky breath. "Jamie is at the beach, it's raining out and there's a storm. Damien went to look for her but he's not back yet, we've already called the police but we need to find her before it's too late, Skylar! I wouldn't ask you to do this but I can't find my contacts. I know you're afraid of the beach when it's dark but I'll come with you, I'm just half blind so I can't do it alone!" she says in a rush and then breaks into a fresh wave of unstoppable sobs.

I nod my head, numb with fear.

"I'll be back," I croak and run up the stairs. I type out a quick message to my mom informing her of my whereabouts and what's going on whilst grabbing my raincoat and a spare for Angela. I pull on gumboots and look for torches. When I've found two, I run back down the stairs, numb with fear. I have one message from my mom.

We'll be home in 15.

That was all it said. I'm shocked for a minute but quickly shove it into my pocket and lead Angela out of the house into the pouring rain and into my car.

♡♡♡♥♥♥

"Damien!" We shout for the umpteenth time. The rain is pouring harder now and it's getting harder to see.

"Jamie!" I shout hoarsely.

"Jame!" Angela shouts loudly, her voice echoing through the beach.

There's a barely audible sound from one of the shops near the boardwalks. I can almost be sure that I didn't hear it but I had no time for cynicism.

"Did you hear that?" I whisper.

"I'm blind, not deaf." Angela snaps.

I feel a surge of hope as we run, kicking the mud and water that had now reached our ankles.

"Damien! Angela!" I shout, giving my all with the one last scream I could manage.

"Skylar?" a weak voice calls out back to me. And in that moment, all my fears were forgotten. The memories of that night that I knew would be repeatedly playing over and over again disappeared. They were safe!

I sigh in relief and jog towards the voice.

There's a dim light and Jamie's hair is wet and plastered across her face. Her eyes are shut and the colour is drained from her skin.

She's lying on Damien's lap and his phone is next to them, dripping with water. Jamie is in a wet suit and that's the only giveaway to the past afternoons events that I got.