It shines but it's not golden

Song to listen to: Pursuit of happiness

"Be my girlfriend?" He whispers. His voice is hoarse with emotion and I feel a little part of me die as I unconsciously nod my head and give him a faux smile.

The day TJ asked me out was perhaps the day I realised I could no longer be saved. I had no feelings for him whatsoever. I felt empty the moment the words left his lips. It began at a homecoming dance. A disastrous homecoming dance that was the beginning of everything that had remained solid in my life, beginning to fall apart. I wasn't even meant to go and quite frankly, I'd always felt that dances were petty

"You have to come!" Angela pleaded for the umpteenth time on the phone.
"Why?" I snapped. This was so unlike her.
"Because," she says flatly.
I sigh as I reply "Okay, Angie." She squeals in uncharacteristic delight.

She'd changed a lot.

I hang up the phone, rolling my eyes as I throw it on my bed.

I walk through the open doors of my closet and begin searching through the racks of clothing. I finally settle on a long black and lacy dress. Black to match my mood. I decided to stick with the theme and grabbed a pair of high black red bottoms that I'd never worn. To kill some time, I grabbed a fluffy white towel and headed for the bathroom to shower for the third time today- really, when you were bored some things became compulsive.

I work to blank my mind as I apply my make up. I carefully opt for an exaggerated, dark look with winged eyeliner and bright red lipstick to match, piling my hair in an elegant bun on top of my hair, not really caring how it looks.

Because I do things backwards, I throw on my dress afterwards, hoping I'd mess up my make up and have to redo it and kill more time. Unfortunately, no such luck. Father time was on Angela's side- she'd already started frantically messaging me.

I pad, barefooted to my mom's study and knock on the door.

I'm surprised to find Dray engrossed in his work on my mom's usual desk.

"Oh." I say. He looks up and smiles. "Looking for your mom?"

I nod my head but decide to tell him anyway "I just wanted to tell you guys that I'll be at the homecoming dance."

He nods his head and looks at me thoughtfully. "Have fun." He says finally. He looks shocked, I barely ever ask for permission.

I smile back at him and close the door, walking back to my bedroom and closing the door. After putting on my shoes, I carelessly grab a clutch bag, dumping a red lip gloss, my phone and a small flask that had gone unused in months, in it.

I place on my jewellery, take it off, put t back on and after the third time decide to leave it. After ten frustrating minutes, find my car keys on top of the fridge.
**

Fashionably late, I walk through the doors of the transformed gymnasium. The expensively decorated room has been completely changed. There's tables littering the room, covered in black lace table cloth. Matching my outfit and my suddenly stormy mood.
The room had more inconveniently placed white carpet, with gold glitter scattered across it. Gold floaty lanterns are attached to the roof and the lighting is low and romantic. For God's sakes, they even had giant bouquets of red roses. What exactly was the theme here?

Couple central. I sigh as the universe mocks me by playing a slow song by Bruno Mars.

Someone smacks my butt and interrupts me from my surveillance of the room.