Book 2: The Nightmare(Prologue)

(OMG, and I continued Insomnia's Book 2, called the Nightmare...ahahahha, enjoy my dear readers.  Enjoy.)

Here I was again, back home and trying my best to not turn all King Kong at what was left of the laboratory of dad.  By the way, wanna know what was left of it all?

Nothing.  And I'll repeat if you didn't get that clear enough.  Nothing.

My heart sank, we were too late huh? Now they'll run samples on my brother.  And I'm sure it won't be the one at a time kinda thing, or the logical step by step.  No, they'd put that all into his system, of course with the exact measurement and all...but until when? Until his body starts to give up and he dies?

I shook those morbid thoughts out of my head.  No...Adrian cannot die.  Not while I'm still alive, I promised him.  And that will be a promise I will keep until I'm dead.

Kit Kat leaned towards me, her eyes trailing around the place, as for Mikael, well, he looked worse than me, and I guess that is because he was guilty, that at some point or another, he knew he was one of the causes as to why my brother wasn't here beside me safe and sound.

I shook my head and trudged towards a cleared out space, I then sat on the cold counter, heaving out slow warm breaths.  I rubbed my forehead as the tears were now threatening to burn out of my golden eyes.  Too late, we were too late...What do we do now?

"Caleb," Kit Kat said, her voice reaching a whisper.  She then approached me when I didn't look up at her, and I just couldn't lift my head up at her--I was frustrated, angry even.  Adrian wouldn't be in their captivity if I had listened to him, if I tried to at least keep this narrow mind of mine open. 

My fist then uncontrollably collided with the counter and I felt it break under the weight of my hand.  The tiles were broken and oddly enough, there was no trace of blood on my hand.  Not even a scratch.

"That's enough Caleb." Kit Kat said rather sternly that I couldn't help but look at her, my eyes now gleaming with tears.  I dunno why, but I've never felt this hopeless before, there was just so much desperation in my heart right now, and I just couldn't seem to look at the bright side of things at any point.

"Kit Kat's right," Mikael declared, now examining the whole emptiness of the once stuffed laboratory.  "There's still hope in all of this..."

My eyebrows knitted, and I inhaled, trying to control the urge to probably knock the lights out of Mikael, "What are you talking about?"

Mikael walked towards me.  "If they took all the equipment, and you can tell that they just did it earlier because of the still wet mud traces on your floor.  It kinda tells us that Adrian is still alive.  And maybe...just maybe, they're keeping him alive the best they can."

I jumped out of the counter and approached him, my fists balled and shaking.  "Alive? After all of this, after what they're gonna do to him...You--you think he'll still be alive Mikael? And yes, if he does manage to escape, how would a 14 year old teenager survive those cannibals? I'm 16 yet here I am, seeking for refuge, yearning for any outside help.  And you're telling me Adrian would still be alive?" I asked him, my voice not really rising, but instead, it was trembling to the point of breaking, I mean, it was enough to make Mikael somehow recoil in fright again.  Bust surprisingly, he didn't.  He just stood his ground, his eyes somehow not able to meet mine.

"For now, he would be Caleb.  But if you keep focusing on the bad side of things, your brother will surely die, not only in your mind...but also in your heart."

I bared my teeth and my hands landed on his collar.  I was about to retort my angered response, to at least yell some sense into both of our minds until...I spotted a crumpled piece of paper on the floor.  And the weirdest part? It was in the color of  blue.  My favorite color.  And somehow, a memory from not so long ago reappeared from the depths of my mind.