Three

PRESENT TIME
JUNIOR YEAR
JEFF ATKINS GRAVE
IMOGEN'S POV

"Hey, my favorite playboy."

I sat next to Jeff's headstone, while Monty sat a little ways away, to give me some privacy. It was pretty late, so there was no shop open that I could get him flowers, and I wasn't going to pick through someone's yard, because that's. . Jeff deserves better.

"It's been five months since the tapes. . five months since I lost you, and now Hannah's case is going to trial. .  and I have to testify and I'm scared. I wish you were here. . everything's just so much harder, especially since you're not here anymore. I just wish you could give me advice." I whispered as I sighed, and then I felt a slight breeze and I smiled.

"Alex wants me to tell the truth about Bryce. . but I can't. I know it's the right thing to do, to get justice for myself, for Jess, for Hannah. . but I can't. Jeff, he makes my skin crawl. . even when he looks in my direction, I just want to throw up and cry. I hate seeing his face, I hate hearing his voice. . I hate being at Liberty, I just want to graduate." I said.

I looked over at Monty, who was looking at me and when our eyes met he smiled, and I did too, and then I sighed. He's far enough away that he can't hear me, so that got me into my next topic.

"Justin disappeared five months ago, also. I don't know where he is. I honestly don't even know if he's alive, Jeff. . and it scares me, but what scares me more is when I don't care, but I don't know who to blame for not caring. . me or Justin. To try and fill the void Justin left in my heart. . Monty and I have been, having fun, but we're not dating. I love Monty, I'm not in love with him, but you know I love him, and I don't want to lead him on, but his comfort means everything to me right now, because I just feel so alone. . am I horrible for that?" I whispered.

"No." My eyes widened, but when I looked up, I noticed that Monty was kneeling down in front of me. "You're not horrible for that, Mimi." He whispered and I frowned.

"Mont. .-" He cut in.

". .-No, I understand. I know that no one can ever replace Justin in your heart, even if you don't want to admit it, and I also know that you're not using me. You know I love you, and I know you love me, I know where everything between us stands, okay?" He said.

His words brought tears to my eyes, but they were more tears of joy. I wrapped my arms around Monty and pulled him into a tight hug, and I felt him kiss my temple as he hugged me back and his hand went soothingly up and down my back.

"I don't deserve someone as great as you." I whispered, and he chuckled.

"I think it's the other way around." He said, and then when we pulled away, he looked at Jeff's headstone and he smiled. "Don't worry, Atkins. . I'm taking care of your girl. You know I always will." Monty said, and I smiled and laid my hand on Jeff's headstone.

"I love you baby daddy. . I promise I'll bring flowers next time." I whispered, and I felt the wind breeze past me again, and it brought comfort to me. Every time I would come to see Jeff, nature would respond in some way that made me believe that he was listening to me, and then Monty gently squeezed my shoulders.

"Let me get you home."

"Clay, it's five o'clock in the morning, what the hell is going on?"

Me and my parents were woken up, by the sound of my brother trying to fight his bike out in the front yard, and I crossed my arms over my chest, because I was first woken up early and it was really cold outside, so I'm upset for a lot of reasons.