Talk With Mark 2.0

"You cant wake, this is not a dream. You're part of a machine you are not a human being. With your face all made-up, living on a screen, low on self esteem so you run on Gasoline. Oh oh oh, I think theres a fault in my code, these voices wont leave me alone. Well my heart is gold and my hands are cold.." Halsey's voice disrupts your sleep and you quickly sit up to search for the source of the music, hoping to find it before it wakes Jack.

You quickly locate your phone still placed by the speakers and carefully sneak out from his grip to rush over to it. You knew this is Mark's ringtone, you set it for him the day you found the song, seeing so much of him in the lyrics. You quickly press the answer call button, ending the music, and hold the phone up to your ear.

"ITS ABOUT GODDAMN TIME YOU ANSWER!" Mark shouts ont the other end, hurting your sleep fresh ears causing you to pull the phone away.

"I was sleeping." You whine, rubbing your eyes, suddenly feeling jus how sore you are. Memories flood back slowly and you glance back at Jack who stirrs slightly but quickly stops. Your breath hitches, and you opt to get dressed before he wakes.

"Awe, Tough tits!" Mark shouts again, clearly upset at you for something. You pin the phone between your shoulder and ear as you step into your underwear and begin the search for your bra.

"Whats got your knickers in a twist?" You ask, lowering your voice as to not disturb Jack, finding your bra still on the bed and very carefully lean over Jack to grab it, thankful that he didnt stir.

"YOU WOULDNT ANSWER ME!" He hollers into the phone loud enough to cause Jack to stir again. You resisted the urge to shh him. He hates when people do that, and often talks louder out of spite.

"Is it so hard to live without me for one hour?" You hiss in a whisper, pulling the phone away just long enough to pull a shirt on.

"One hour!? You were supposed to come over nine hours ago!" Mark snaps. No way its been nine hours, you think as you pull your phone away to check the time. It indeed has, being as Jack came over around noon thirty, and its now about 9:54 p.m.

Guilt slaps you suddenly. You did tell him yesterday that youd be going over to his place around noon, and he probably sat around expecting you all day. And you never blow him off without some kind of explaination soon after or shortly before. You swallow.

"Almost ten.." you admit guiltily, stepping into a pair of pants. You hear Mark begin to say something on the other end, but quickly take a breath and pause for a long moment.

"I was worried. You never go ghost on me. You always give me some kind of heads up, and when you wouldnt answer me-" he pauses again seeming to search for the words. "You're such a little danger hunter that I thought maybe something had happened to you or someone had hurt you out on your run..." Mark finishes weakly, causing guilt to stab deeply into your stomach.

"Im so sorry..." you whisper into the phone, glancing back at a still sleeping Jack. "Look, I'll make it up to you, are you free right now? I have a few minutes to explain." You say, quickly walking out of the room toward your window. Mark takes a breath on the other end.

"Yah, see you soon." He says quietly before you hear a click. You place your phone in your back pocket before hurrying over to Mark's hoping beyond hope that you dont reek of of sex.

The instant your feet hit solid ground, Mark had his arms wrapped around you tightly, trembling just slightly. Guilt pounds at your chest like a jackhammer. You really did worry him.

"I'm ok Mark, honest." You say, wrapping your arms around him as well, but he only shakes his head on your shoulder. You allow him the moment of comfort before he releases you, leaning against the windowsill to look outside.