Chapter 27

Recap: Violet colored eyes beamed back at the red eyes. The same shade as Violet's. It growled as it readied itself to defend itself from the vampires. Embry stepped in and it paused before snarling. But before it got further. A howl echoed and it stopped. Then looked before running out the door and smashing it open as it disappeared. "What the fuck was that?" Patience demanded. Embry didn't answer, but chased after it.

My body ached as I rolled in the cold dirt clutching at my stomach feeling sick and aching.

My eyes opened and the vision blurred around me. The first thing I saw was a gutted elk with it's organs half eaten. I went up in the snow as the cold water seeped into my bare skin. Panic seeped into me when I realized I was in the middle of the forest alone, naked, wet, and with a mutilated deer. And I don't even know how I got here either. But fear had found a home in me as the cold seeped into me. I could freeze out here and die. I had no idea where I was or why I was naked.

My arms went around me as I scooted away from the dead body the cold snow burning and biting at my skin. The thought of dying out here terrified me. And adrenaline kicked in as I forced myself up bits of cold water dripping down my legs as my toes and feet sunk into the snow. And my head snapped up as I began looking for any sign of civilization to run to. Far away. Somewhere warm where I could sit in front of a heated fire and let my cold nearly frozen body recover from the cold elements of nature. And then I heard it.

"Violet!" The sound of Embry calling for me. "Embry?" I asked my voice weak. He must of heard me because moments later he appeared and panic set into his face. He held a blanket in his hand and was quick to wrap it around me. For a moment his burnt amber eyes nearly red shifted to the mutilated deer. But then he lifted me up wrapped the blanket around and sped away. His car was far off as I buried my head in his semi-warm neck before he had opened the door for me.

And he laid down numerous towels and covered the blanket around me. And then he got in the drivers seat and put his foot to the pedal. My wet skin seeped into the towels and blankets creating wet spots. But I savored the warmth that it provided before it stopped. The heat from the heater was refreshing as well. Embry drove like a bat out of hell before we arrived at his house with the only car being there was Victor's. Embry opened the door and wrapped the blanket more securely keeping all of me out of view before he picked me up once more.

I hid my face in his neck as Embry opened the door and I heard Onyx trot over and whine. And I could feel Victor's cold stare on me as Embry brought me up to his room and turned on the tower heater he had next to his central heat to make it warmer faster. Embry grabbed a towel and some clothes before drying me off and manually dressing me as I stared off as Onyx got up and rested his head next to my leg and gave me a sad look. I rested my hand on his head and scratched behind his ear.

I looked back at Embry as he placed a dry blanket around my shoulders that he had set on the dryer. Embry kissed the side of my head and rested his head against mine. "Please don't ever scare me like that again." Embry said. "I'm sorry." I said tears forming in my eyes. "It's ok Violet, I'm not mad at you. I care for you a lot. You mean a lot to me Violet, and I don't want you to get hurt." Embry said kissing my forehead and I smiled at that.

"You mean more than you understand." Embry said stroking my cheek and I nodded at that. "I'm sorry." I told him. "No more apologies Violet, you didn't do it on purpose." Embry said and I nodded. I didn't even remember much besides the sharp pain I felt last night and passing out. But Embry obviously remembered it if he searched after me. Embry hugged me his arms around me and I curled up into him. Onyx nudged me and I patted his head as Embry let go of me and I gave Onyx a half hug and Embry smiled at me as Onyx licked me.

Being with the both of them brought relief flooding through me. A normal life surrounded by people---- a vampire and a wolf who cared for me. Embry showed it by searching for me which was all the proof I needed to know he wasn't playing me and going to leave me in the dirt. If he was he would of already done it when I disappeared. And he would of left me in the woods. In a situation where I could of froze to death and died. But he didn't. He came and rescued me from the woods of coldness.