Chapter 20 The Dark Champion

Eli's POV:
(Written by @Kodbro)

I still couldn't believe it. Jim Lake hurting Steve? Okay. Maybe at the beginning of the year, I could. But not now. What was going on with our friend?

We had to warn everyone else before it was too late. "I still don't believe that Jim would ever hurt a fly," I said while pacing back and forth in the part of the forest where Steve had seen Jim escape James's lair.

"He almost did," Steve said.

"And then what? He just ran off? That's not like the Jim I know," I said. Throwing my hands up out of frustration.

Suddenly there was a rustle behind us and Claire came out into the clearing with Toby. "You got my message then?" She asked me.

"Yeah," I said, holding up my phone to her on our chat.

"James has got Daylight," she said. "And now that he does-"

"He will stop at nothing to get Gunmar back," Jim finished. Then out of the trees behind Claire and Toby, came Jim walking alongside Blinky, AAARRRGGHH!!! and Merlin. Steve's eyes instantly turned into fear when he saw him approaching us. And Jim noticed it. "What is it, Steve? Why do you look so scared?" He asked.

"You- you don't remember?" Steve said.

Now Jim looked confused. "Remember what? What did I do?"

"You attacked me with Daylight. As you escaped... on my to Toby's house," he explained. "You're not going to attack me again, are you?"

I didn't know what to think. "Oh come on, Steve. Don't be ridiculous. Jim is not going to hurt anyone. He's on our side-"

"I wouldn't be so sure if I were you, Eli," Toby said. "I mean, he did attack me now to mention it. Speaking of... what is going on with you, Jimbo? Is there something that you're not telling us about?" He asked his best friend.

I wish I could read Jim's mind right then. But it was like looking at a brick wall if anything. He hesitated in his speech. "I wish I could say..." he said. "Like you said, Tobes. I don't remember attacking you or Steve at all. Whatever's going on with me, I don't even know myself. I wish I did..."

Suddenly, his face darkened. And so did his glare. "Um... Jim?" I asked. He didn't answer me. Only stared at Toby.

"Jim-"

"Give it to me," Jim suddenly said.

"Aah... Aah..." Toby stammered, backing away from Jim. "Give what?"

"The ruins of Gunmar," Jim said. "I know one of you has it." Then he looked at me.

"I confess. I confess," Steve shouted before I could say anything. This made me slap my hand on my face out of annoyance. Oh Steve...

"Eli and I. When the battle was over, we hid the pieces of Gunmar down in Eli's basement-"

"I need to give them to James. I am his Dark Champion-"

"Jim. What is going on?" Claire asked. "This isn't you-"

"This has always been me!" Jim shouted. Then unexpectedly, he swung out his hand to make Eclipse appear before charging at Toby. His best friend. "No Master Jim," Blinky cried.

But by now, Jim was already fighting Toby who out of defence had taken out his Warhammer. "I'm not going to hurt my best friend," he said. "Look at yourself, Jim. Is this really you?"

"It is," Jim said.