Chapter 24 Claire's Plan

Jim's POV:
(Written by @Kodbro)

After Toby's panicked phone call, I knew I had to do everything I could to get to the museum as quickly as I could. Right then, it didn't matter what James wanted. What mattered was my mom.

Approaching the museum after James had let me go, I found the window that Toby and I had snuck into all those months ago to get his Chubby Tracker back and got arrested because of it. Only this time, I was getting my mom.

It was eerily quiet once I had jumped inside. That had been the easy bit. Now for finding out where the goblins could have possibly taken my mom...

At that thought, I edged towards the open door to where Killahead Bridge used to be. Expecting to see my mom captured inside. Only that when I got there, there was no one.

What was going on?

"Mom?" I asked to the empty room around me. No sign of Toby or Claire coming to the rescue either.

"I thought my brother taught you better than this," a familiar voice suddenly called from behind me.

I turned around, recognising it. From where it came, a tall and dark, green figure that looked like Blinky came walking out of the darkness towards me. "Dictatious?" I asked.

"I'm sorry, Jim. But Toby and Claire were right. We needed something to lure you back in. A distraction. See you in a few winks."

Then something hit me on the head and I blacked out.

🔵🔵🔵

Not sure where I was when I woke up, I groaned before opening my eyes.

"Jim?" Toby's voice asked.

Suddenly I was awake. Realising I was back home, I noticed that I had been tied to a chair again just as Merlin had done to me before I had made the choice to become a troll.

"Jim-"

"You tied me up?" I asked. "You lied to me."

"Because we don't trust you, James," Merlin said. I looked up at him to see Claire, Strickler, Eli, Steve and my mom standing around him. No a doubt concerned about me.

"I don't understand," I said.

That's when Claire came to me. "Is it true, Jim? Are you with James? I mean that's where you were before you came to us, wasn't it?"

"Well, you were the ones who left me-"

"Only because you attacked Toby," Claire protested. "You remember, Jim?"

I didn't. After at her for a bit, I sighed. "I'm sorry," I said. "I don't know what's wrong with me. James only wants the amulet so that he can become the Trollhunter, thus unleashing Gunmar once he has Gunmar's ruins from Eli and Steve. That's why he let me go-"

"Then that's what we will do," Strickler said.

"What?" My mom asked.

I felt the same. "You're crazy?" I said. "Strickler, if we get James what he wants, we can double cross him."

"I don't think I follow," Steve said.

"Let's give James Gunmar's ruins. Pretend that Jim is on his side when he is actually with us. By doing that, before James can rise Gunmar with Daylight, we can put a stop to him once and for all," he said.

"A final battle," Claire said in approval. "Let me go with Jim then."

"What? No," I said. "Claire. Why?"

"Because if I go, James will be reassured that you have betrayed us. Strickler is right. This is our best shot," she explained.

I didn't want to double cross anyone right now, but I also don't think I had a choice. "Well, I can't complain with that," Eli said.

"We will just need some back up," Toby said.

"And I think I know just the right people to ask," Claire said.