Chapter 17 Daylight's Downfall

Jim's POV:
(Written by @Kodbro)

"The future?" Merlin asked. "Jim. Whatever do you mean?"

I hesitated at his question.
"Well, when I touched the amulet, it showed me standing with my dad before Killahead Bridge. The scary part is not because I was with him, but because I was happy to be with him. I'm scared, Merlin. What must I do?" I asked.

"Well getting Blinky back is what we can do right now," Toby's voice called from behind me all of sudden. I turned to see Claire next to him. "Yes, that guy may be a real Butsnack. But we're smarter than that. We're the Trollhunters. So just think of this as another rescue mission."

I know he was just trying to uplift the situation that was at stake here, but that didn't stop me from worrying about Blinky. "Then we better go now," I said.

"Next question," Toby said. "How do we get there? Just please don't say walking-"

"Walking," Merlin answered.

"I will tell Eli and Steve to meet us at the forest," Claire said. Taking out her phone as she did.

"Then Tobes, Merlin. Come with me. So will AAARRRGGHH!!!. We've got some Trollhunting to do," I said.

But just as we were about to go up back into the village of Trollmarket, a loud explosion suddenly sounded from outside, startling all of us to ready our weapons. "We're under attack," Merlin said. Looking as calm as he always did whenever something bad happened.

Clearly the word bad, didn't mean the same thing to him as it did to us. Outside, trolls began to cry out in panic and run. My instinct told me to rush out after them to see what all the commotion was. "Jim!"Claire shouted, but I was already too far gone to turn back.

Realising that the explosion had come from the Heartstone, I dashed towards it at Troll speed until I saw someone in the Healing Dwell where Morgana had been released. A troll stood next to him.

"Oh no!" Toby shouted.

"Blinky!" I said.
Because that's who James, my father, was holding captive before us. He must have somehow found out what we had planned before we could get to him first. "Let him go, James," I ordered.

"First give me the amulet," he said, holding out his hand to me.

"I told you," I said. "I don't have it-"

"You will give it to me if you want your dear Blinkous to live," James threatened.

"I will never let you rise Gunmar again. His time is over-"

"And who says that I just want to bring back Gunmar?" He smirked.

My face paled at his words. "You can't..." The next thing happened so fast that I couldn't even finish what I was saying. For just then, in a flash of light, James lunged to me where he grabbed the amulet out of my hands at the speed of light before shoving Blinky to me and then disappearing in another flash of light.

I fell as he came at me. Crashing into a heavy lump behind. I looked up when it caught me in his arms. But the Troll that saved me held no expression on his face. "Thank you," I said.

"Whatever," he said.
Then helped me back on my feet.

It took me a while to realise that James was gone. And so was the amulet.

"No," I said. "Daylight."