The Alf Caf

(THE TITLE'S A WORK IN PROGRESS)

Alfred didn't expect much when he first opened his cafe. Business started off slow but for a small cafe in a small town it was relatively alright. A few customers came in everyday, sometimes twice. It always seemed crowded during noon when teachers and sixth-formers would have their lunches then past 3 afterschool.

The perks of having a cafe near a school you know? And one without overpriced bubble tea.

That seemed popular among kids these days.

But the same routine would go on for the past 2 years that Alfred had has his cafe open. Sure there would rivaling shops and hangout places nearby that would open up but they weren't too bad. His loyal customers continued coming back for their usual orders. And as long as that school was open, he'd always have someone dropping by.

And today, that someone happened to be Peter Kirkland. It was well past 4 on a Thursday which was when Peter would usually drop by after his club. Alfred would usually see him with his mom or one of his older brothers but as he watched him step into the cafe he noticed that this time it was someone new. He was holding Peter's hand with small pale hands and was wearing a hoodie that covered his wheat blonde hair. When he walked up to the counter Alfred finally got a glimpse at his face.

A complete mess.

...Let me explain.

He had dark circles under his dull green eyes and seemed like he hasn't slept in weeks. Chapped lips and light freckles dusted on his even paler face. All of this framed with his large eyebrows.

However Alfred wasn't one to judge so he greeted him politely as he did to everyone.

"Hey there Peter! Who's this?" He smiled, leaning over the counter a little.

"Hi Alfred! This is my brother Arthur! But he kind of looks like a zombie right now," The younger laughed as 'Arthur' shoved him a little."Architecture... and I'll take the Thai tea with the sobero. You, Peter?"

"Bubble milk tea."

"Alright I'll call your names when they're done, Arthur is A-R-T-H-U-R, right?" Alfred asked whilst writing down Peter's name on the cup with a sharpie.

"Yes."

"Alrighty just sit down and... yeah," he laughed and turned to get working with the orders.

That was the first time Arthur went to his cafe.

The next time was a bit more interesting. Alfred was closing up shop late in the evening when he noticed a familiar silhouette approach slowly.

"Hello..."

Turning to face him, Alfred greeted him cheerfully. "Hey! Arthur, right?"

"Uh yes..." he paused. "Are you closed?"

"I do not, you gremlin!" Arthur huffed.

"Haha, I'm gonna assume college? I've never seen you around here before," Alfred chuckled in response.

"Yeah Arthur's staying with us until he finds an apartment," Peter rambled whilst looking through the menu.

"Don't go around spreading personal information Peter," Arthur warned, looking over the menu with him. "But yes, university actually."

"Oh, what are you studying?"

"Yeah but if you want I can quickly make a drink for you! You seem tired," Alfred said sympathetically as he was bringing in signs from outside.