Chapter 16

My knees buckle and I fall to the ground as tears fill my eyes. Katniss hands me Layla and I cradle her in my arms.

"What happened?" I demand.

Haymitch and the others appear. Annie runs over to me and gasps as she looks over at Layla.

"Let's go sit down and talk about it." Peers suggests.

Once we're seated near the window and Layla's comfortable in my arms, Peeta starts to explain.

"Once the games began, a Capitol hovercraft randomly appeared and starting bombing 12."

"Again?!" I ask. Tears stream down my face.

Katniss nods.

"They bombed the Victors' village again. We barely made it out. I managed to grab some things, though. When we were running away, Layla tripped and cut her head on a rock. She was crying and then passed out after a few minutes. I found a random shirt and wrapped it around her head. Then, when we were almost in the woods, Leo fell and broke his arm." Peeta gestures to Leo's cast.

"Where is everyone?" I ask.

"District 13. There's a new president, since Coin died." Katniss explains.

There's a moment of silence. How could the Capitol do this to us? I'm so gonna hurt that stupid president Snow. I look down at Layla and carefully stroke her thick blond hair. She doesn't deserve this. No one does. Her eyes suddenly flutter open and she squints at me.

"Auntie Prim?"

"Layla!" I exclaim and give her a hug.

"Where's Willow?" Layla sits up in my lap.

"You'll see Willow soon." I promise.

"Mommy?" She asks. I hand her to Katniss.

I suddenly hear a squeal.

"Prim!" I recognize the voice as Liz's.

"Liz!" I exclaim. I jump up from my seat and give her a big hug. "Thanks for the locket."

"Oh, it was nothing. " She replies.

Plutarch suddenly appears after a few minutes.

"Ms. Everdeen!" Plutarch shakes hands with me.

"Hi." I sigh. "Can we watch the games?" I ask.

"Of course."

He produces a black tablet and hands it to me. I turn it on and immediately see Willow and the others walking in the forest. Layla peeks over and squeals.

"That's Willow!"

"Yup. Plutarch, can we take her to a medic?" Katniss asks, gesturing to Layla's forehead.

"Yes. Bring Leo too. Follow me, please."

I pause the games and go with them. After a few hours of Layla squeezing my hand and screaming while getting some stitches, and Leo crying while the medic moves his wrist as she figures out what's wrong, they both fall asleep. Katniss, Peeta, Haymitch, the others, and I watch the games. Willow, Audrey, Kayla, Thalia, and Jason are still walking in the forest.

"What are we doing, exactly?" Jason asks, swinging his sword around.

"Walking. And looking for stuff." Willow replies as she dodges his swings.

A boy suddenly jumps down from a tree and tries to shoot Willow. Kayla immediately jumps in front of her. The arrow hits her stomach. Tears suddenly stream down my face. That's how Rue died; with a weapon lodged into her intestines.

Thalia screams at the boy and throws her sword at him. It lands in his heart and he falls to the ground. A cannon goes off.

Kayla falls into Willow's arms, gasping for air.

"Am I gonna die?" She whispers.

"I don't know. Kayla, why did you do that?" Tears stream down Willow's face.

"Because. You need to win. Either you, or one of the others."

Audrey furiously looks for something in the medical kit, but I know it's too late. Willow gently takes the arrow out of Kayla's stomach. She grasps her hand. Kayla's eyes start to glaze over.

"Rue?" She croaks. Tears stream down her face.

"Kayla?!" Willow says.

Kayla blinks and looks at Thalia, then Jason, then Audrey, and lastly, at Willow. Kayla smiles and manages to say one last thing.

"Goodbye." Her eyes flutter shut and the cannon goes off.

*****

Willow is hysterical. She's screaming and hugging Kayla's small body. Everyone is trying to calm her down. Willow finally gets up, marches over to a small meadow, and grabs a handful of flowers. She puts them all over Kayla's body.

"Willow, what are you-" Audrey is interrupted by Willow's shouting.

"How do you like that, you idiots? How does it feel to take away a life? You people are evil. I'm disgusted by you! All of you!" She screams.

"Did she just-" I ask.

"Yes." Haymitch answers.

I turn back to the tv and see Willow marching straight towards a clearing near some trees. The others try to follow her, but she tells them to back away. Willow squints at something in the distance and shoots an arrow at it. And then, next thing you know, she, and everyone else in the arena, is flown backwards as the force field explodes.

-----

I'm sorry, but I completely forgot about the Capitol anthem thing that plays in the games at night lol. I'm too lazy to add it in, so please forgive me. Sorry if this chapter is short and really dramatic.

And, I forgot to say this last time, but credit for changing the arena temperature/ biome whatever (I wasn't exactly sure what biome meant lol so I guessed) goes to Keep_Calm_its_Friday ! Thanks for the idea! If you have any ideas, please private message me, and I might add them in! Thanks and remember to to vote and comment!