Chapter 17

I can feel the hovercraft tilt as we fly towards the arena. I'm still in shock of what Willow did. After she blew up the forcefield, the screen went black. I immediately wake up Layla and Leo, telling them that Willow is coming soon. Liz sits next to me, sweat rolling down her face.

"How do you know the president?" I ask.

She takes a deep breath. I can see the tears in her eyes.

"He's my uncle. He helped Snow kill my mother and father. And my little brother." Liz's voice cracks.

"I'm so sorry, Liz. But why did he kill your family?"

"Because I didn't really like the games. My mother and father didn't, either. They didn't want him to hurt me, so they risked their lives for me and my brother, but my uncle killed my brother anyways. My uncle is old, but the Capitol made him look really young. He's 50 years old."

"Snow treated you so well, though." I say.

"He was just pretending for the cameras. And my uncle hates me." Liz looks out the window, wiping her eyes.

I look out the window too and see us nearing the arena. It's covered in black smoke. Trees are rapidly catching fire. In a few minutes, the hovercraft is directly above the arena. It's metal claws drop down, lifting up a tribute. I can see long dark hair glistening in the sunlight. Thalia.

"Finnick!" I call. He comes over to me and I point down below. Finnick grins at me.

The doors of the hovercraft suddenly open and Thalia is wheeled on a metal table. There's a mask helping her breathe. The medics take her to a different room. I look out the window again and see brown hair this time. I motion for Katniss and Peeta to come see. The doors open again and Willow is wheeled in. Her hair is singed and her cuts seemed to have opened again. Layla runs over to her and grasps her hand.

"Willow? What happened?" Layla cries. I pick Layla up and hold her as Willow is wheeled into a room.

"Layla, I promise I will explain. Just not now. Maybe when you're older. I don't want you to get scared. Willow is fine." I give her a hug.

"Okay Auntie Prim." Layla replies.

Jason is soon rolled in, followed by Audrey. Tears fill my eyes at the thought of Kayla. She should've been here too.

I decide to get some sleep. Everyone else does, too. I fall asleep that night thinking of Kayla and Rue, playing in a meadow, along with their brother.

******

I'm awoken by the sounds of alarms. Everyone is screaming. I feel like I'm falling. I stand up and immediately look for Katniss. I finally find her after a few minutes. She's desperately trying to keep Layla and Leo from falling, since the hovercraft is tilting to the left. Peeta helps, too.

"Katniss, what's going on?" I shout over the noise.

"The Capitol shot the hovercraft, and it's on fire now." Katniss points to the right wing of the plane. The fire is cutting through the thick metal. Soon enough, we're going to be falling through the air.

"Where's Willow?" I scream. Katniss's eyes widen. "Hold Layla!" She practically shoves Layla into my arms as she runs to the mini hospital ward.

A few minutes later, Katniss appears with Willow, who seems perfectly fine, just a bit dazed. I wrap my arms around her while holding Layla.

"Good job in the games." I say.

She starts to smile at me but it suddenly fades as I'm pushed backwards.

"Aunt Prim!" Willow screams as she goes with me. Layla starts to cry. I bump into a table, hitting my head on the corner.

"Prim?" Katniss runs over to me. She strokes my head.

"I'm fine." I mumble.

The hovercraft finally hits the ground. The doors open and I put Layla down and hold her hand tightly. There are peacekeepers landing on the ground from Capitol hovercrafts, wielding guns. They start shooting people. I run towards the woods, Katniss, Peeta, Liz, Willow, Leo, Layla, and the others following along. I suddenly feel Layla being pulled away from me. I tug on her arm, but the other persons grip is stronger.

"Layla!" I screech.

"Auntie Prim!" She cries. A peacekeeper holds her as she beats her fists on his chest, screaming at him to let her go.

I run over to him, slapping him in the face, trying to do something to get Layla, when he suddenly pushes me to the ground, kicking me in the face. The last thing I see before everything goes black is Layla, screaming my name as the peacekeepers take her away.

------

Sorry this was kinda short! I feel like these last few chapters have been so dramatic 😂 remember to vote and comment!