Chapter 10

Haymitch and I watch Willow from a glass window on the second floor of the tribute hotel. She's talking to a girl with blond hair and sparkling blue eyes who looks about 13. They're both at the knife throwing station. The girl talks to Willow without even looking at the knifes as she throws. I turn to Haymitch.

"What if they ally, and the girl turns against her? "

"That won't happen." Haymitch reassures me. "Besides, Plutarch is friends with the head gamemaker, and he's in on the plan. So if someone kills Willow, he'll make sure they die. " He whispers.

"Good." I say as I turn back to Willow.

The careers look at her and the other girl nervously. I don't understand how the careers are so weak. I only see one from District 2 that might have a chance, and she's glaring at Willow and the blond girl. She reminds me of Clove, with her small figure, shoulder-length black hair, and piercing black eyes. The girl motions for her friends to follow her over to the bow and arrow section. I watch her just barely shoot a bulls eye. My eyes widen. She's almost as good as Katniss. The girl smiles in satisfaction and the head trainer calls everyone over for lunch.

*******

"Haymitch, what if the career girl tries to kill Willow?" I ask as we walk over to our room.

Haymitch looks at me with his gray eyes. I stare at his blond hair, (is his hair blond in the book?) starting to turn gray from old age.

"Hopefully, she won't. If Willow allies with that girl, they can defeat the career. And Willow's good at a lot of things. Don't worry." He says.

I nod, still not convinced. Once we reach our floor, I step inside and immediately smell chicken. I take a seat and enjoy the food, but Peeta's is way better.

I'm in the middle of eating my chicken when a nurse rushes into the room.

"Willow Mellark is in the infirmary."

*******

Willow places an ice pack on her forehead as the nurse speaks.

"She was caught fighting with the career from District 2, Vanessa. Vanessa kicked Willow in the head, so Willow punched her. Vanessa is in the other room. Willow's head is fine, just a little bump. She can go now. "

I take Willow's hand and walk out of the room, but not before I see a glimpse of Vanessa, glaring at us with her dark eyes.

******

"What exactly happened?" I ask Willow as I braid her wet hair.

She turns to me. "Vanessa started insulting you and mom. Then she punched me and said she would kill me." Her eyes begin to water.

"Oh. How old is Vanessa?"

"She's 14." Willow replies.

"What about your new friend? Didn't she help?" I ask.

"Oh, you mean Audrey? She tried, but Vanessa pushed her away. I'm going to be allies with Audrey, though. Thalia and Jason agreed."

"But what if Audrey betrays you?"

"She won't. She's from District 5, is 13, and has two siblings. An older brother, Brandon, and little sister, Madison. Her sister is very sick. Audrey's dad died when she was five, like Grandpa, but he died when you were seven." Tears fill my eyes as Willow finishes. "Audrey is poor since her dad died. I feel bad for her. "

"Audrey has a lot of experience with knives." I note.

"She like to cook. And she loves chopping fruits and vegetables."

My eyes widen. Willow continues to ramble.

"Audrey is good at a lot of things, and she knows which plants are edible and stuff. " Willow lowers her voice. "Could we rescue her and her family? She deserves it. Please?" Willow makes her eyes go big. She does this when she wants something.

I sigh. "I have to ask Haymitch. "

"Thank you, Aunt Prim! I love you!" She wraps her arms around me.

"But no fighting with other tributes. " I stroke her purple bruise. "I don't want you to get hurt."

"Okay. Goodnight." Willow says, climbing into bed.

I kiss her forehead. "Love you."

"Love you too!"

I walk out the door, and as I go to sleep, all I can see is Vanessa's piercing black eyes, glaring at me as she shoots an arrow through my heart, and then Audrey, her sparkling blue eyes wide open as someone lays her stiff, blood covered body down on a gray table next to a pale blond little girl, who looks identical to her. A woman who also has blond hair is standing above them, crying her eyes out. Their mouths suddenly open and they speak at the same time.

"Help us, Prim. Save us."

-------

I felt like updating lol 😂I hope you liked that chapter! Credit for the character named Audrey goes to

@Keep_calm_its_Friday ! Thanks! Remember to vote and comment your ideas!