Chapter 7

"I'll do your hair." I tell Willow as she slips on her light pink dress.

"Okay." She replies.

Willow's been keeping a straight face for the past two days, and now it's the Reaping. I can see in her eyes that she's scared. Luckily, I'll be her mentor, along with Haymitch. Peeta wanted to, but he needs to stay home with Layla and Leo. Katniss told me that we have a plan to get Willow out of the arena, along with Finnick and Annie's children, Thalia and Jason. Thalia is 15, and Jason is 13. They're both going into the games, poor things. We're going to use the same strategy that we did with me. Hopefully, it doesn't backfire like last time.

I put Willow's hair into two braids, like my mother did to me for my first year.

"Don't worry, I'll help you. We have a plan to get you out. Just don't talk about it, okay?" I whisper.

Willow nods and tears fill her eyes. She suddenly throws her arms around me and whispers, "I love you Aunt Prim."

"I love you too." I reply.

Katniss and Peeta enter the room and tears stream down their faces.

"You look beautiful." Katniss whispers.

The tears that Willow was holding in seem to spill out and she sobs against her parents' chests. I told Willow to say her goodbyes at home, since we all know what happened when I went into the games for the second time. I hear a knock at the door and go answer it. When I open it I find Rory. I throw my arms around him and kiss his cheek.

"I have to go get ready. I love you." He whispers.

"I love you too." I reply as he runs back to his house.

Layla and Leo walks down the hallway. They're going to be in the crowd with their parents, watching their older sister being sent to her death. Layla is wearing a blue dress that is similar to the one that I'm wearing. Willow, Katniss, and Peeta appear and Willow hugs her siblings.

"I love you both." She says shakily and kisses their cheeks.

I can see tears filling Peeta's eyes. I walk over to him and give him a hug.

"I'll see you soon." I whisper. Peeta nods and I go over to Katniss.

"I love you." I hug her tightly and kiss her cheek. She smiles at me and I go over to Leo.

"Take care of Layla, all right? You'll see Willow when she gets back. " I hug him and stroke his soft blond curls.

Liz suddenly runs down the stairs.

"Wait!" She throws her arms around me.

"Be careful, okay? Take these with you. Give one to Willow. I'll see you when you get back." Liz hands me two lockets, one silver and one gold. I hand the silver one to Willow and she puts it on. Liz winks at me and then she runs back upstairs.

And now, the hardest goodbye. Layla. I kneel down to her level and she looks at me and frowns.

"Where are you and Willow going, Auntie Prim?"

A few tears fall down my face and I take a deep breath.

"We're going away for a little bit. We'll be gone for a few weeks. Don't worry about us. You have to be a good girl, okay? I'm gonna miss you."

Tears fill her gray eyes.

"Why can't I go with you?" Layla's lip starts to quiver. Uh oh.

"You just can't. Trust me, you don't want to. I'm gonna miss you so much, Layla. I love you."

"I love you too, Auntie Prim." She starts to cry and I hug her tightly. I spend almost every second of the day with Layla. She loves me so much. I will truly miss her a lot.

The bell for the Reaping suddenly rings, interrupting our hug. I grab Willow's hand and open the door, then turn around and see the crying faces of our family.

"We love you." I say and run with Willow to the square.

*****

"They're going to prick your finger. Then you go to the 12 year old section over there." I say as I point to where Willow should go.

"Okay." She says.

"One more thing. Don't cry. They'll mark you as a weakling. Try not to, okay?" I wipe her wet face with my sleeve and give her one last hug before she walks away.

I'm about to go sit on stage when I hear a wail in the crowd. I turn around and see Peeta and Katniss, trying to calm Layla down as she cries for Willow and I. Leo tries to help them, too. Tears fill my eyes, but I quickly blink them away and sit down next to Haymitch, who pats my back. Effie suddenly steps out, wearing a bright yellow dress. She smiles at me grimly, with red eyes, as she steps up to the stage. Everyone quiets down, except for Layla, who's sobbing is loud and clear. Effie tries to ignore it as she speaks.

"Welcome to the Reaping of the 76th Hunger Games. Ladies first." Her voice sounds dead. I watch her heels click against the stage as she pulls out the only name that's in the bowl. Willow Mellark.

Effie clears her throat and is about to speak when Layla starts to sob again. Two peacekeepers go over there and try to grab her arms, while Katniss and Peeta plead with them to leave her alone. Leo buries his face in his hands. Just when they're about to take away my sweet little Layla, I jump up and run over to the microphone.

"Stop!"

"And who are you?" A peacekeeper shouts.

"You should know. I'm Primrose Everdeen. Now, return the child to her parents!"

Everyone stares at me in shock. The peacekeeper rolls his eyes at me.

"Well? We don't have all day. She's five. Cut her some slack."

Layla stops sobbing and stares at me. I can see a grin spread across her face. The peacekeepers practically toss her over to Katniss. They stay in their spot, though, I guess in case Layla cries again. I sit back down and Effie reads the slip.

"W-Willow Mellark." She stutters and wipes her eyes.

I look over and see Willow stepping out of the 12 year old section. I look back over at my family and see Layla with tears streaming down her face. Then I glance at Willow again and see her standing on the stage. I don't see any tears on her face, thankfully. Effie calls out the boys name.

"Connor Williams."

I see a pale, skinny boy come out of the thirteen year old section. His hands shake and I can see the sweat on his forehead as he stands on the stage. The boy shakes hands with Willow and he starts to go to the room where the tributes say goodbye to their families, but a peacekeeper grabs his shoulders and steers him towards the train.

"But I thought-"

"Go to the train." The peacekeeper grumbles.

I'm glad that I thought ahead and said goodbye before we left. Haymitch and I stand up and follow behind Connor and Willow. Once we get inside of the train, I sit down next to the window. I hear a sniffle next to me and look over to see Willow. She leans against me and starts to sob. Effie enters the train and starts to dab at her eyes with a napkin.

"Help yourself." She gestures to the carts full of food. No one makes a move. Connor runs to a room and closes the door. I hear a click. Willow continues to sob as I hold her.

"You'll get through this. You're strong." I whisper in her ear.

She nods and stares out the window. I can see the crowd of people staring at us. But then, a little girl starts pushing people, and pulls an older boy along with her. I suddenly gasp as I realize that it's Layla and Leo. She points to us and screams our names, trying to go under the rope. Tears stream down her face. Katniss and Peeta appear and they lift them up in their arms. Tears are pouring down their faces and the train starts to move, leaving us with one last glimpse of our only family, waving goodbye while they continue to cry.

---------

Ugh, this chapter was so dramatic, wasn't it. Sorry guys😁 anyways remember to vote and comment!