Chapter 1 ✂ The Ball

With a blow of a fist printed against her cheek, the woman dropped to the ground like a brick. "Heh well, that was easy." You snickered, shaking your hand from the slight bitter pain. With a smirk creeping onto your lips, you dragged the woman into the nearest vacant room. You stripped her down and wore her clothes, but you still had the decency to wrap her up in the carpet before you fled the scene. The sensation of wearing wealthy clothes was fantastic. And the fact you didn't have to pay for such expensive attire, only made it so much more elegant.

You quickly snuck out of the empty hallways to where all the commotion took place. Dresses spun around like wheels as the women twirled and the rhythm of music bounced between both your eardrums. Your plan was simple. It was to make your way through the crowd, sneak into the princess's room, get the goods and leave without a worry.

"Drink Milady?" A man asked.

You let out a soft chuckle. "Wouldn't mind an early victory celebration."

You jugged down the glass of wine in the most feminine method, but growing up as a peasant, there wasn't much gracefulness you could do. With that, you put the glass on the tray and bowed lightly at the man before adjusting your mask and returning to your task. You pushed yourself through the clutter of drunk men and women, trying not to fall on your way to the other side. Just then a pair of gentle hands grabbed my wrists and tugged you towards the owner. You jumped into conclusion that a guard had found you but truly, it was just another wealthy woman planning to dance with you. However much you tried to leave of the crowd of dancing people, they managed to throw you back and forth between each other, not allowing you to break away. Giving into your free-spirited side, you danced while searching around for a closer exit with fewer people to confront. Just then a pair meaty hands met your own. You hesitated to look at your new partner, completely dazed in anxiety.

"I'm assuming you're new here?" He crooked a grin taking a step to the music's beat. In a mere second of examination, you knew that this blue-eyed man was not from here. Not wealthy of course.

"And why would you say that?" You smirked, repeating his movements. He spun you around and stuck his foot out to deliberately trip you. You caught your balance just in time before bumping into the man again.

"You're not much of a dancer..." A smug grin rolled upon his lips.

"And you're not much of a gentlemen." You glared playfully. "Besides, I didn't come here for the dancing or entertainment."

"Then, what did you come for?"

"Who would miss out on free food and wine?"

"I suppose that's why I came here too." He chuckled.

Realizing the princess was soon to be introduced to the crowd, you quickly broke your fingers from the man. "I should- go-- refresh myself."

"Very well." He chortled.

"Good day to you!"

"You too," he replied before turning his attention to the newly arrived princess.

Without further delay you slipped passed the dazed crowd as the music softened. The guards stood their grounds for the princess's arrival but let you pass, fooling them by your stolen disguise. The hallways were made of the most beautiful marble and the vibrant fireworks from outside of the castle premises managed to brighten the rooms within. You were not familiar with palace but you knew for a fact that the grand door ahead was clearly worthy for a royal. Holding your dress above your ankles, you darted towards the door but just then you noticed the tapping of your heels catching unwanted attention of the knights nearby. You plastered yourself against the shadow of a wall just as a guard searched about the bounds you once stood in. Once he was out of your view and you were out of his, you slid off your shoes and crept around to the room. You peeked through the lock hole to find no one in the room. With that cue, you slipped into the room and threw your shoes to aside.

"Ugh finally-- I can take off this ridiculous mask." You murmured, slightly annoyed as you slid off your dress along with the rest of your attire. Your eyes desperately skimmed around the room, finally meeting the suspicious box you've been searching for. With nimble fingers and right tools, you hacked passed the lock and opened the jewelry box finding exactly what you've been rummaging for; a potion.

You grinned victoriously just as a voice cracked into the vacant room. "Refreshing yourself very well I see."

Your neck snapped towards the source of the voice to find the man you'd danced with. "I'm just --running some errands, but I could use some wine later on. Would you like to join?" Smirking flirtatiously you played with the bottle in your hands.

"I prefer tea." He grinned calmly. "But right now, some of that would be better," He said pointing at the bottle.

You raised your brows. "Oh really? And can I ask why you need this?"

"I... owe someone a favor and this is what they want."

"And who is this... Someone?" You asked throwing the bottle between both hands.

"Queen Regina..." He muttered as his deep blue eyes followed the potion.

"And why are you giving this to her?" You said teasingly handing him the bottle, noticing his patience running out greatly.

"She threatened to kill my daughter." His eyes softened.

"Well, I'm very sorry to say this my friend.... But either way, your daughter is going to die."

Of course, you meant it in a teasing way but he took it seriously and snatched you by the collar and pinned you against the wall. You tried to pry his hands away but there was no use. His weight upon yours cemented you to the wall. "You think you'll save your daughter with this... If the queen has a hold of this, you probably won't even live long enough to see your daughter live as a slave! Everyone will lose what they care for!"

"What do you mean?" He growled, still fuming with anger.

"You have no idea what this potion does, do you?"

"No..." He loosened his grip at your blouse.

"Invincibility my friend. With a sip of a drink, you can become the greatest and undefeated man on the planet." You explained brushing your clothes as he let you go.

"She's using me?"

"What more can you expect from the Evil Queen?" As you said it, you can see regret spill over the man's face. His skin cringed above his brows, thin pursed lips shaped bows, and eyes of wonder and love. You suddenly break out of your trance, catching yourself admiring a stranger quite too much.

"So, what's the plan?" You inquired. He raised his glazed eyes to yours and heaved a sigh.

"Don't let anyone--I mean anyone get a hold of this," He muttered, wrapping your fingers tightly around the bottle.

You knitted your brows into a frown. "You trust me?"

"Oddly enough. Don't take advantage of it, though. I'll make sure you'll be sorry." He replied mockingly.

"We'll see about that." You chuckled while being in a hurry to leave.

"Good luck to you..." He mouthed just as you edged towards the window. You gawked down at the moat patiently waiting for your arrival. You glanced over your shoulder and locked eyes with the young man. And just as before, you admired him. There was a moment of silence where only inhales of breaths could be heard.

"I'm (Y/N)..." You mumbled.

A smile crept onto his lips as he hesitated to response. "Jefferson..."

Your smirk grew wider and you saluted him. He did the same back and with that cue, you dived into the sky and hit the moat's icy surface.