one night; chapter eighteen.

but at your best, you are love

THIRD PERSON

The time for Justin and Estefania to meet came by fast. They were both anxious to see each other. Estefania had made sure she looked the best she could, she brushed her hair at least 7 times, and borrowed lip stain from one of the ladies in her room. Justin's look was subtle, but he made everything look expensive. Justin checked into the prison and was guided to a medium sized room. There were outsiders and prisoners sitting across from each other at different tables. He picked an empty table and sat.

ESTEFANIA

An officer had approached me and told me it was time for Justin and I's visit. I smiled immediately and followed the man to the meeting area.

Once Justin and I's eyes met, it was a wrap. He ran up and hugged me, and I proudly embraced him back.

We stayed like that for 3 minutes, until an officer tapped me on the shoulder and told me I had to sit down.

Justin guided me to the table he'd chosen and pulled the chair out for me. Once he sat down, he spoke.

"How have you been?" I straight faced him, then laughed.

"It's shitty here." I simply said. "Look, Justin, I know you said you forgive me, but I really need to apologize, again, for putting you through that. The fact that you're still here, wanting to continue a relationship with me, paying for lawyers, and putting so much money in my books mean so much to me. You don't even understand." I looked him in his eyes. My face started to heat up, I was trying so hard not to start crying.

Justin grabbed my hands. "It is okay, I swear. This was your first little fuck up. You just so happened to get caught. I have a history as well." He sighed, and looked down for about ten seconds. "I love you, Estefania. I'm in love with you. I would not be doing any of this if I didn't." My eyes went wide with excitement.

"I love you so much. So much more." I kissed his hands, and he smiled up at me.

We both leaned in for a kiss, but were stopped but an officer. He shook his head and said, "no touching, no kissing."

We let each other go, and Justin whispered a "sorry." The guard nodded and walked in the other direction, back against the wall.

"How are my mother and Jorgie?" I asked him.

"They're fine. Matter of fact, they'll be here next weekend." I nodded.

"How's the food?" He smiled.

"I haven't eaten it yet, and I don't plan on it. I'm just gonna eat noodles everyday for 6 months." I stated. He laughed at me. I was being dead serious.

We both become silent, neither one of us knew what to say.

"It's weird, I don't know what to say. This has to be the driest conversation we've had in months." He chuckled.

"I know, right." I giggled with him. "I'm just thankful for your presence. We don't have to talk."

And that's what we did for 30 minutes. Sat directly in front of each other and just looked at each other. It wasn't awkward either. It was very warming, actually.