- fifteen

"hey." mark smiled at me.

"he's one of my friends." jaemin explained. "i would've given you his number, but he's getting his phone fixed right now. luckily it should be ready for pickup by the end of the day, right mark?"

"haha yeah." the new boy smiled again shyly, in a loss for words due to awkwardness and lack of social cues.

"oh cool. i would've texted you if i knew you existed." i nervously laughed at my sad attempt of being comedic, thus adding to the awkwardness building through this conversation.

"so, sooyoung... why are you all dressed up? and shouldn't you be at school?" jaemin asked.

"well, i was kind of wondering that too. hani and i woke up late, and she decided that we should go out instead of going to school. we're actually about to leave soon, after hani gets her coffee." i answered.

"oh, well, jaemin and i were just hanging out with our friends." mark told me.

"oh really? which ones?" i asked.

"renjun, donghyuck, and jeno are over there at our half-booth half-table thing." jaemin said, pointing to the other side of the cafe. as i followed his finger to the area with the boys, i saw them staring at us.

"why aren't you guys in school then?" i asked.

"we decided to skip school since there's a pep rally today. it was too rowdy so we came here." mark explained.

"i'm back!" hani exclaimed after grabbing her coffee from the counter it rested on. she grabbed my arm and pulled me out of my chair to stand up with her. "we'd better get going."

as soon as mark and jaemin saw my dress fully, their jaws dropped.

"whoa, sooyoung. don't you think that dress is a little short?" jaemin asked, still staring at me with wide eyes.

"it goes down to my knees almost. how long do you want it to be?" i asked him.

all mark could utter was 'wow'.

"okay, well, it looks like we'd better get going." hani said, laughing nervously. she practically pushed me out of the coffee shop, her purse falling down to her elbow. she readjusted it as soon as we got outside.

"way to ruin the fun." i mumbled.

"now that that's over," hani sighed, "let's get this party started."