- twenty three

"i guess she's just always been this way. i mean, of course not when i was really little. i think she assumed i didn't know any better. but still, every memory i have is of her scolding me for not being perfect. it's like she's always hated me like those bullies on the playground that would hang out by me just to catch one tiny thing i was doing wrong so they could tattletale on me." i took a sharp breath. "i'm sorry, i'm just rambling. i don't want to bore you."

"no, it's fine! i'm a great listener." he told me as he pulled into his driveway.

he parked the car and unbuckled his seatbelt. "come on." he said. "you can tell me inside." he got out of the car and i followed him.

once we got inside his house, i finally realized why chenle's car is so fancy and organized. that's just his lifestyle.

rich.

'rich' is the only thing i could think of as i walked through the fancy house that i felt i was unworthy of being in.

we sat down on the couch and i explained my situation.

"when i was little,my dad got scared of my mom because of the accident." i started.

"wait, hold on. what accident?" chenle asked.

"well, i was about four years old, but i remember it crystal clear." i said. "my mom was driving us home from my ballet recital when she got pulled over on the highway. the policeman came up to her window and threatened to make her pay a two thousand dollar fine for driving thirty miles over the speed limit. i guess it was instinct for her to grab the officer's gun and shoot him. after that, she just drove away."

"wow...." chenle started to stutter a sentence but stopped after realizing it was too hard to say.

"we lived in a small town then, so their detective skills weren't the best. that's why my mom isn't in jail. they haven't caught her yet." i took a deep sigh after i finished, releasing all the built up uncomfortableness.

"you used to do ballet?" chenle finally asked, making me burst out in laughter.

"hey! shut up, that's not the point."  i said.

"you're right. i'm really sorry that happened." chenle comforted me now, putting his arm around my shoulder.

"yeah, i guess that incident really opened up my dad's eyes, since he finally realized what she was capable of doing. so, i haven't seen him in a couple years. i don't know where he is. one day, he just packed his bags and left."

"wow. you really got unlucky with your family." chenle said.

"tell me about it." i chuckled dryly, trying to make it less awkward.

after a long silence, chenle laughed as he said something else.

"i still cant believe you did ballet."

---
thanks for 500 reads 😩😩

man, exams are kicking my butt,
like can teachers just not??