- twenty eight

"truth or dare?" hani said out of the blue, looking me dead in the eye.

"uhm..." i looked around at the others, confused. "truth?" i replied. it sounded more like a question than an answer.

"where did you sleep the night after we skipped school? after the party, did you hook up with someone?" she was giving me a death glare.

"what? i thought you knew. i passed out, so donghyuck and mark took me back to donghyuck's house." i told her.

"did you sleep with donghyuck?" she asked me.

"no, he has a guest bedroom." i scoffed.

"sooyoung. you know what i mean. did you or did you not have sex with him?" she spoke slowly, making sure i understood. she was starting to look scary.

"i did not!" i yelped, a little more high pitched than i would've liked.

"tell me the truth!" her scream echoed, taking everyone by surprise. chenle grabbed her shoulders and tried to help her relax. "do you think i don't know what you're doing? i saw you walk into school with chenle today. i know what kinds of games you're playing. fucking donghyuck and now him? i knew you were always desperate to be popular, but i never knew you were this low. i never thought my own best friend would ditch me to sleep around."

that wasn't the truth. in fact, it was far from it. i had never wanted to be popular; i never really cared about that. and i definitely wasn't sleeping around.

"that's not true." i spoke softly, justifying my thoughts. i couldn't believe hani would accuse me of doing something like that. i've never even had a boyfriend, never even kissed someone, so there was no way i would sleep with someone, much less two people in two days. the thought of her thinking of me like that started to make my eyes watery.

she paused for a moment, anger still evident on her face. "okay, then. truth or dare?"

i looked up at her. "truth."

"who do you like?" she asked.

"what? i- i don't know." i answered, a little bit nervous at the sudden question.

"let me ask it differently. if you could go on a date with anyone in this room, who would it be?" she asked, crossing her arms.

"whoa whoa, hey that's not fair. the rules of truth or dare are that one person asks one question and one question only. no follow ups or question switches." renjun said, finally intervening.

hani sighed. "fine. then you ask a question." she looked to renjun.

"uh, okay. chenle, truth or dare?" renjun turned to chenle who was caught off guard.

"huh? oh, yeah truth i guess." he said, rubbing his arm.

"have you ever kissed a girl?" renjun asked.

"no." chenle looked shy and embarrassed at this question.

"i've got one, chenle. truth or dare?" hani asked him.

"truth."

"have you ever kissed a boy?" hani smirked.

"no! i'm not gay!" chenle protested, making her laugh.

"i've got one for everyone." renjun added.

"go ahead." hani motioned for him to say it, so he did.

"truth or dare?" everyone took their turn to answer.

"dare."

"dare."

"truth."

"dare."

"okay that's three out of four votes for dare, so.... i dare all of us to never fall in love as long as we're in high school." he said. for some reason, my heart dropped a little. the thought of never loving someone made me dizzy.

chenle sighed. "this seems more like a bet than a dare. seriously, 'let's see who can go the longest without falling in love?'" he started to mock renjun. "but i guess if we really want to make this official, we all have to agree on it."

"okay. then why don't we shake hands with everyone and promise we won't break this 'bet'." renjun suggested. "and whoever breaks it has to do whatever we say, as punishment." we agreed, all standing up one by one.

first i shook hani's hand.

"good luck, sooyoung. i know it'll be hard for you." she bitterly smiled.

"thanks." i whispered, squeezing her hand a little bit tighter than i normally would.

next was renjun.

"you can prove her wrong, right?" renjun looked hopeful.

"if she was my true best friend, i wouldn't have to."

then, it was chenle's turn.

he smiled at me. "we can do this. it's just a stupid bet."

"yeah. maybe you're right." i smiled back.

and finally, i shook donghyuck's hand.

"are you sure this isn't just a fake bet that nobody's going to care about in a week?" donghyuck teased.

"it's a real bet, hyuck." i told him.

"the first one to break the deal has to do whatever the others say, right?" he asked.

"yup." i smiled.

"fine. then it's a bet." he smiled really wide, the first time i had actually witnessed him smile like that. it started to make my heart throb.

you know what? i'll be fine, right? it's like chenle said.

it's just a stupid bet.