- twenty two

chenle pulled into the 7-eleven parking lot, got out of his car, and ran to me. he must've seen me with johnny and the others, because he immediately pulled me into a hug. he probably thought they were causing trouble with me.

"are you okay?" he asked, suffocating me. "did they hurt you?"

as he was squeezing the life out of me, he spotted jaemin, and loosened his grip on me.

"oh. hey jaemin." he cleared his throat, and jaemin awkwardly smiled at him.

chenle looked at johnny, who was leaning against the wall. "uh, do you need a ride too? you don't look too good." chenle asked.

"no, he's fine. i can take him home." jaemin said, walking over to johnny.

"i don't live too far from here anyways, but thanks for the offer." johnny added.

"it's no problem." chenle nodded and led me back to his car. the ride home to his house was silent. it was almost awkward, but we were comfortable enough with each other that it wasn't weird.

"do you want to talk about anything? like why you need a place to stay in the first place?" chenle slowly asked, careful not to cross any lines.

"well, i guess you could say my mom's a bit of a psychopath." i chuckled at that, and as chenle stopped at a red light, he looked over at me. he placed his hand over mine, which i now realized was shaking like crazy.

"you can be serious with me. it's okay." he reassured, attempting to calm my nerves down a bit.

laughing is something i do when im nervous. it's not that i can help it, and it's not that the situation is funny. it's just hard to be serious when all you want to do is make the atmosphere less dense. trying to make people less depressed by laughing usually doesn't work, and almost all of the time, people get offended that i'm 'not taking the circumstances seriously' by cracking a smile. i guess it's just kind of become force of habit to laugh as an effort to make people less sad.

it might also have to do with the fact that when there's bad news, i usually don't want to believe that what's happening is true, so i try to make it seem like it's fake, therefore, it's like lying to myself. and laughing is another thing i do when i lie. so basically, either way, it doesn't work out.

i sighed deeply. "well, i guess i should start from the beginning then."