- forty nine

"you need to talk to me? what about?" i asked the boy through the phone.

"can you meet me at the cafe please? i just want to talk to you." donghyuck's voice echoed on the other line.

"okay, but i've gotta hurry. i don't want to leave chenle alone making pizzas." i explained.

"alright, i'll see you in five minutes." he said, then hung up the phone.

five minutes? who does he think he is? it's not like i can fly or something.

i grabbed my purse, wiped the remaining dried tears from my face, and walked out of the bedroom door. i headed downstairs and chenle made eye contact with me.

"where are you going?" he asked while i grabbed the house key from the hook on the wall.

"i'm just going to walk to the cafe. i'll be back." i told him.

"what about the pizzas?" he asked in an almost disappointed, whiny voice. i opened the front door.

"i won't be long." i half-smiled at him, then closed the door behind me.

i headed on my way to the cafe via foot, and along my way, i came across two stray puppies cuddled together in a street corner.

i stopped by them, and crouched down to greet them.

"aw, hello babies." i whispered, frowning at their sad, alone state. i set my small purse on the ground, so i could let them smell my hand.

"you like them?" a voice from behind me asked, and i turned around in shock, letting out a tiny gasp. "woah, no need to be afraid, i only asked you a question."

"sorry, you just scared me." i said, quietly. slowly, i started to recognize the boy in front of me. he looked familiar.

"hey, don't i know you from somewhere?" he asked, flashing a smile that instantly rebooted my memory.

"yeah, wasn't your friend the one that was beating up johnny?" i asked.

"oh. yeah, i'm so sorry about that. i promise, i tried to get out of it, but he wouldn't listen to me. i felt really bad. and i'm really sorry he took your stuff, too. that wasn't supposed to happen." he said, his expression clouded with worry and guilt.

i looked at him for a second, unsure of what to say. "are these dogs yours?" i asked.

"well, no, but i'm dog-sitting them. my family has recently lost most of our money due to financial issues, so now i'm doing everything i can to help out around the house, including earning as much money from neighborhood jobs as possible."

"oh, i see. well they're really cute, but i've got to get going." i said, standing up. "it was nice to actually meet you......"

"jaehyun. i'm jaehyun." he stuck a hand out for me to shake, and i did.

"nice to meet you, jaehyun." i smiled at him, watching him turn to walk away.

seeing as donghyuck was probably already waiting for me at the cafe, i hurriedly started on my way again.

i tried to adjust the strap on my shoulder when i stopped in my tracks and realized something.

where's my purse?