- twenty seven

"you what?" i asked, the others' questions soon following mine.

"look, it's a really long story." donghyuck said, causing renjun to speak up.

"we've got five hours. spill." renjun crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow expectantly. his tone was stern, almost making it seem like donghyuck's answer would be the most important and top secret thing he would ever hear.

"well-" donghyuck begun to say, before a teacher stuck her head into the room and cut him off.

"everyone, listen up! your detention teacher is stuck in traffic, so it'll be about thirty minutes before she gets here! that means, no horseplay..." she eyed each one of us, scanning us up and down before continuing. "you got that?" she pointed a finger at us. i could almost see renjun start to shiver in fear.

"y-yes ma'am." he said quickly, watching her walk out of the room. as soon as she was out of sight, the tension in his shoulders loosened and he sighed deeply. "alright, where were we?" he clapped his hands and spoke in a now cheerful voice, completely different than the tone he was using just a few seconds before.

chenle rolled his eyes at renjun's weird behavior. "donghyuck...spill."

"well, it's basically all mark's fault." donghyuck started, making everyone confused.

"disappointed but not surprised." chenle said quietly.

"first of all, it's a very prestigious school. each student gets three strikes and then they're kicked out of the school for good. for me, i technically shouldn't have any strikes against me. but a couple weeks ago, jeno tripped in the hallway, knocking over two buckets of paint from on top of the lockers, and they landed on the assistant principal. i took the blame saying that he tripped over my foot and that i should've been paying more attention, so i got in trouble for it. then, last week, mark decided to pull a prank on mrs. karet and empty all the contents of my markers onto her seat. mrs. karet is very old, i mean, she doesn't even know her right from her left. so of course, she didn't realize that there was a pool of ink on her chair. then, when she sat down, she realized what happened. she saw the empty markers on my desk and sent me to the principal's office. after he gave me another strike, he had a chat with me, and i found out that those two buckets of paint counted as two strikes, meaning, now i had three total. so, i was kicked out."

"so none of it was your fault?" i asked.

"nope." he answered.

"how do we know you're telling the truth?" renjun questioned, making everyone look at him, then back at donghyuck.

"why would i lie about that? i know i may not be the nicest sometimes, but i'm never dishonest." donghyuck countered.

the room stayed quiet for a while after that, and it soon got awkward, until the girl we had almost forgotten was there finally spoke.

"truth or dare?"