Chapter 18

•Kevin's POV•

It's impossible to describe my father without using stereotypes. He is what he is. Angry. Sarcastic. Apathetic jerk. As early as ten years old, I knew that something inside of him shut off for me.

"What now?" His usual greeting whenever I stand before him.

"I just closed a two million dollar deal with Hannimon GOC."

He won't even look at me and I can tell that he is not impressed. "So?"

"So...I thought you should know." I answer, my voice monotone.

He just smirks with no trace of appreciation whatsoever in his face. "Don't come bragging about small deals you close. In this business, the only person who matters is the one who built the empire. In that case, me. And you? Once a loser, always a loser." I didn't see that coming. My father is mocking and attacking me with words that are harsher and more painful than all the punches I've had growing up.

"Yeah. I thought you might say that because you're the ONLY one who can do GREAT things around here." I rant sarcastically. He's being unreasonable and definitely out of line.

"What did you say to me?" He gets up from his seat and leaves his papers in the table.

"Oh. Did I hurt your feelings? Do you even have feelings?" I mock him in return, pushing as hard as I can to get him to explain where all these are coming from. "What is wrong with you?! Why are you so fucking mad at me? Is this about being an ass growing up constantly asking you to save me when I'm in trouble? Why do you think I did it?"

He launches at me with an angry face. Our heads almost bumping at each other. "You came to my office uninvited. You're talking nonsense. You're wasting my time." He shakes his head. "You're full of shit like your mother."

I'm no saint and I won't pretend that there's nothing wrong with myself either. I had a handful of bad choices, have caused more than one person to cry when I was angry. But I have changed...or at least tried to. "Don't you dare talk to my mother that way."

I challenge him even more. My voice at this point is loud enough to be heard outside his office. "What did I ever do for you to hate me this way? I had a rough path growing up and it was mostly, pathetically to beg for your attention. But this, thinking that you're perfect?! That's low even for you, dad. You are severely more disturbed than I am and you know it." He did not respond to that. I was waiting for him to throw that usual punch on my eyes or on my mouth but it did not come. I walk out of his office banging the door. His secretary jumps at her seat but looks away as soon as she sees me trying to hold my tears. I'm not a fucking robot. He's my dad but he acts like he's not and when I'm around him, I feel like he despises me so much he would pay me to go away.

Yuri drives me to Urban and I sit in the corner of the bar while Marin prepares my usual drink. I light a cigarette and instantly my thoughts brought me to her. She has that effect on me. She makes me calm down and think before I act. One of these days, my mom and I will have that talk. I need to understand why my father hates me. It's long overdue.

I take my drink all at once and imagine Airie's loving smile. I can't fathom how a man like Nate could be more interested to everything else but her. He doesn't seem to realize that she happens while he's busy making other plans. I take another puff and breathe deeply, exhaling a huge amount of smoke in the air. Imagine my surprise when my phone buzzes and it's her calling. "Hey. What a surprise."

"Hi. I'm calling you because I need your help." She opens the conversation for us which is new. I just listen to her nervous voice and wait. "I stained Cadie's bag. And it's not just any bag. It's her mom's and her mom died last year."

"Go on. I'm listening." I make sure she knows she has my attention. "So, I tried everything. And I mean everything, just to wipe it clean but I failed. Then I came up with another totally different idea."

I respond to her with an, "Ok..." She continues explaining. "The problem is I'm not sure I can give it to her personally." I gesture to Marin to fix me up another drink. "Why not?"

"My heart will shatter into pieces if she wouldn't like what I just did to her bag." I can really sense the fear on her voice. Of course I will help her. I guess I just need to prolong the conversation a little bit more. "Are you asking if I can give it to her?"

She exhales. "Yes. If you're not busy."

"Why don't you send it as a parcel?" I suggest another alternative, clueless to her plans.

She pauses for a second. "It's...personal."

I'm lost at the moment. "And how am I qualified to delivery something personal for you?" She exhales again, losing patience on me. It's kind of cute.

"If you see what I did to her bag, you would know why." I lick my lips while thinking of my next move.

"What can I get in return?" I crack a joke while she's being too serious.

"Excuse me?"

"I said, what's in it for me?" She pauses for a second, thinking.

"Well, name it. Just tell me what you want and I'll try to make it happen." I think for another second and reply.

"Deal."

"Yeah? You'll do it for me?" I almost choke at her question. Instead, I puff longer than I did the first time and exhale a greater amount of air. "Actually, I'm doing it for Cadie."

"Of course you are. Thank you, Binnie. It means a lot to me." After that, she ends the call. I look at my phone and drink the next round of drink Marin hands me.