Chapter 22

Nate's POV•

Maybe it's luck. But the opportunity of witnessing a close-up brain surgery by a world-class surgeon is a dream come true and I got the part.

Dr. Vandyke is one my heroes growing up. Over the years, he did countless of free surgeries for the poor people in Nicaragua, Peru, Zimbabwe, Africa and the likes. He has been on my top list of surgeons to look up to. I wanted to be just like him - free spirited, adventurous, skillful, open-minded, and active in a lot of charity works.

My flight is this afternoon and I still can't get a hold of her. The first opportunity of experiencing a foreign culture in the setting of medical practice doesn't feel complete without her support. I get it that she needed consistency. I sucked big time after the movie date we had that days felt like weeks not being able to talk to her. Consistency is just something I couldn't handle at the moment. I wish she would understand how important this trip is.

My calls just went straight to her voicemail and I have this crazy feeling that she's slipping away.

"You ready, Nate?" Julio asks, while putting my luggage in the trunk.

"I think so."

"You're a lucky son of a bitch. That should have been my trip." He punches me on the shoulder.

"Well, I'm smarter than you so better luck next time."

"Nate..." Airie's voice resonates in the air. I turn around and find her closing the door behind her. The cab pulls over and turns the signal light on. I walk fast towards her and hug her. "Baby...I'm so glad you're here."

"I came to see you before you leave."

I check my watch and notice I only have an hour left to check-in. "I'm sorry but I have to go. Thanks for being here. I'll be back soon. I promise." I hug her again.

Her eyes seem so lonely and out of place despite putting up a smile. It was so lost that I can hardly recognize the woman standing in front of me. All I can manage to do is give back the best smile I can come up with and cross my finger to hope for the best. When I turn around, my face slackens and my brows furrow out of concern for my girl. I'm not sure what to feel. Anger? Fear? It is definitely something I couldn't put my finger on.