Chapter 19

•Kevin's POV•

Every morning, my life's routine is to drop by any coffee shop in town that will NOT make me wait in line. (Yes, I get my own coffee. Yes, I'm quite paranoid about someone spitting on my coffee. Not a big deal.) Then, I will go straight to the office with Lydia waiting for me on her desk and following me around as soon as I appear in the elevator. She would go through the day's events in her tablet like meetings, lunch date with mom, deadlines or more meetings.

And that's just about it.

Line two on my telephone beeps. It's Lydia. I press to answer. "Mr. Rifle, you have an Aimee waiting for you in the lobby. She says it's an S-O-S and that you are expecting her. Should I send her in?" I didn't mean to wet my lips but my mouth is drying up and my breathing is starting to be irregular just by hearing her name. So I gulp the water on my table and brush my hair. "Yes, please." And then I press another button to end the call.

This is the first time in a long time that something interesting happens here in this office.

The light knock on the door is definitely Lydia. She opens the door wide enough for me to see Airie peeping inside the room, maybe thinking twice to get in. My secretary guides her inside while asking her for the drink she prefers. Airie just smiles at her and refuses. I hear her say that she's not going to stay long anyway.

I approach Airie who is obviously intimidated with her surroundings. My heart is pounding at the moment as well. We both are taking our moves as slow as possible. I see the box she's holding in her lap and I think I can start from there. "Is that it? That's what I'm sending Cadie tonight?" She only nods and hands me the box. "Do you mind if I...take a look?"

Airie gives out a weak smile. "No, I don't. You can open it."

I untie the ribbon and lift the cover without knowing what to expect. One thing that strikes me most seeing the bag inside is that Airie did this. And it's so beautiful. She painted the back side of the bag with a woman carrying a child. I'm not sure what materials she used on this one but I'm hoping it's the acrylics I gave her last time. If this will not make Cadie forgive her, I don't know what will.

Airie hands me an envelope. It's a letter I assume for Cadie from her. "Don't worry. Everything's gonna be alright." I promise her. "You have a gift, you know. I'm looking at something spectacular right now. This..." I stare at her work again. "This is a potential business. Do you have any idea where this art is going to bring you?" I can already imagine her success. "But I won't push anything too fast at least not yet. Let's stick to plan A, shall we? Hand this to Cadie and hope for the best." That's all she needs to hear right now. I tie the ribbon back and slip the card on my jacket pocket. She beams at me with her best shot. However, she still couldn't hide the sadness in her eyes.

"Thanks, Binnie. I owe you one." She says.

"I'll hold on to that." I answer excitedly.

I am outside Cadie's apartment ringing the doorbell once. Then I hear footsteps going down the ladder a few seconds after. She peeps in the side window and her eyes widen in shock. The door opens slowly. "Hi." I say politely.

"Hello." She replies with crunched eyebrows obviously stunned to see me.

"Airie sent you this." I hand her the box and she takes it from me gladly. I tap on my right pocket and slip my hand inside to get the card. "She also wanted you to read this." Cadie looks at my hand before picking the card. I flash her a soft smile and utter, "I hope everything's going to be alright soon between you two. Don't be so hard on her, ok? Bye." And slowly, I turn my back to leave.

"Kevin! Kevin, right?" I hold my spot when she calls my name and sway my head to the side to show her I'm listening. "I can see you like her. I don't hate you but she's with someone else. You obviously know that."