Chapter 38

•Nate's POV•

The things Julio said to me amplified in my mind. What's more important to me? Is it med school or Airie? I'm still debating that to myself. Why can't there be both?

Make time for your girl no matter what the consequences maybe. As long as you think she's worth it. I was moved emotionally when Julio told me that, totally aware of my actions in my relationship with Airie. I took her for granted now I'm scared of her response.

I loosen my tie and decide to dismiss myself early from work. Facing her again after our last conversation is a harrowing process and can leave me feeling raw. She's a minefield that is too complicated to navigate. For days now, I've been losing my mind thinking about how to make things right and how to actually start over. A clean slate, that's what I wish to have and then go back to the way we were.

Not far from Airie's place, I can already see a black Mustang outside their driveway. Only one thing is for sure, it's not Airie's. I drive slowly, parking far enough to be unnoticeable yet near enough to watch what's about to play. Acting like a detective isn't really my thing but this is my chance so I don't have any choice. I get to finally find out what's the real score between this two.

I get to finally unravel if this it all just a painful hunch or a sad truth.

•Airie's POV•

When we touched down in Los Angeles, Kevin had to rush to his office so he asked Yuri to drive me and my mom home. Instead of picking me up himself, Yuri still is the one bringing me to Pastels to meet his friend.

"Thanks for driving me, Yuri." I tell him while patting his back.

"You're always welcome, Ms. Eloise. Mr. Rifle just had some business to attend to at the office. He'll meet up with you in a while."

I nod in understanding.

The short drive was completely quiet. We reached Pastels flawlessly. I was almost out of the car when I decided to turn back inside. "Yuri?"

"Yes, Ms. Eloise? Did you forget anything?"

"No. I just need someone to talk some sense to me."

"I'm not sure I can be of any help."

"Oh, I think you are more than capable than what you are showing to people."

"I can try. What is it about?"

I breathe in deeply. "Do you think I'm a bad person?"

He looks at me at the rear view mirror, his eyes lost in the nowhere gathering the right words, then he turns around to face me.

"Ms. Eloise.."

"Airie. Please call me Airie."

"Airie, right." He repeats.

"Coming home is easy. It's where you'll find kindred spirits and known faces. But some people, they belong in the road. Some people, they want to be surrounded by the unknown. When the kisses are given out, stories are told, and reunions are over, many of them find going home isn't going home at all. And because of that, their gaze will be on the horizon, looking, dreaming and wishing for another opportunity to get away. Others may not understand the new you but I do. So you're not a bad person. You have just grown to be a different one. What other people would say about you? Worry about it later. What you have to do now is to find where your heart truly belongs."

He really is a wise man.

"I can see now why Kevin treats you like family. Thank you, Yuri."

"Take care, Ms. Eloise. I mean, Airie. Don't be too hard on yourself."