0 0 3. S1 E2 Part 1

We ran back into the forest. Jasper was dead. Someone killed him. There were people down here with us. People who survived the radiation.
Monty tripped and fell flat on his face, we stopped to help him up. Then we saw the bones. Skeletons, skulls. They didn't look human.
"Who are they?" I asked, still holding onto Monty's arm.
Clarke bent down to pick up a skull. It was shaped weirdly. "What are they?" She replied.
A distressed cry in the distance made us look back in the direction we came from. "Jasper. He's still alive."
We raced back to the river but stayed out of sight to be safe.
"Stay out of the trees," Finn whispered. We looked over to where Jasper was hit. He was gone. "He was right there. Where's he go?"
"We should head back to camp," I suggested.
"We need to go after him!" Octavia argued.
"Octavia, you can barely stand. Annie's right. We head back to camp and come back with reinforcements. We can't do this by ourselves."
Hesitantly we all turn around and head back to camp. The trek was long and hard. We ended up walking the last mile or two.
When we got back we saw Murphy and Wells in a knife fight. Clarke rushed over to break it up.
I was helping Octavia as all the running had made her leg bleed and throb. Bellamy noticed immediately and came to help her. "Octavia, are you alright?"
"She'll be ok," I answered. "She just needs to rest and take it easy."
"Thank you," Bellamy said to me. He turned to Clarke and said, "Where's the food?"
"We didn't make it to Mount Weather." She replied dismally.
"What the hell happened out there?"
"We were attacked."
"Attacked? By what?" Wells asked.
"Not what. Who." I corrected.
Finn then added on to my comment "It turns out, when the last man from the ground died on the Ark, he wasn't the last grounder."
"It's true." Clarke said "Everything we thought we knew about the ground is wrong. There are people here, survivors. The good news is, that means we can survive. Radiation won't kill us."
"Yeah, the bad news is the grounders will." Queue Bellamy to put a downside to the optimism.
Wells looked around curiously. "Where's the kid with the goggles?"
"Jasper was hit. They took him." I said sadly.
"Where is your wristband?" Clarke asked him grabbing his arm.
He roughly pulled it out of her grasp and glared at Bellamy. "Ask him."
Clarke stared at him with fury in her eyes. "How many?"
"24 and counting," Murphy claimed proudly.
"You idiots!" Clarke muttered. "Life support on the Ark is failing.
That's why they brought us down here. They need to know the ground is survivable again, and we need their help against whoever is out there." Everyone was silent listening to her explain the situation. People were uneasy. "If you take off your wristbands, you're not just killing them. You're killing us!"
Bellamy stepped forward to take centre stage. "We're stronger than you think. Don't listen to her. She's one of the privileged. If they come down, she'll have it good. How many of you can say the same? We can take care of ourselves. That wristband on your arm? It makes you a prisoner. We are not prisoners anymore! They say they'll forgive your crimes. I say you're not criminals! You're fighters, survivors! The grounders should worry about us!
The crowd replied with an almighty roaring cheer "Yeah!"
Clarke wasn't able to get another word in and before we knew it Bellamy disappeared into the crowd.
Clarke turned around and marked towards the dropship with Finn on her tail. I managed to spot Bellamy and followed him to his tent. Quite rudely I shoved my way in.
"Can I help you?" He stated.
"You don't get it, do you?" I asked crossing my arms over my chest.
"No, I don't think you get it." He said. "We are here for a reason and it's not so that everyone on the ark can come down and join us, it's so we can start our own lives doing whatever the hell we want."
"Whatever the hell we want? That's going to get someone killed. And I don't mean that lightly either. There are multiple murderers in this camp." He remained silent for a moment so I continued. "And guess what, I'm one of them. So hear me when I say that 'whatever the hell you want' is a bad idea, and you're just trying to hide the fact that you're terrified." I don't know where my confidence came from but it suddenly disappeared.
"Everyone here is scared." He replied.
"No. They're thinking only one of us is scared. Do you want to prove them wrong? Help us rescue Jasper."
Bellamy stared at me in bewilderment. "What's your name?"
"Annie," I replied, my feet shifting uncomfortably.
"I like you, Annie. You've got guts. Octavia mentioned you earlier, said you stole a guard's gun."
"Yeah. I hear you have one." I said suggestively, making sure he understood if he made a wrong move I might use it on him. He glared at me with amusement and concern, he then lifted the side of his shirt revealing the handle of the gun tucked into the top of his trousers. "Good, bring it. We might need it to fight off a grounder."
He huffed in defeat. "Do I have a say in this?"
"Nope," I replied. "I'll go tell Clarke you're coming along."
Without another word, I marked over to the dropship to find Clarke. I climbed the ladder and saw wells talking to her.
"There you are. When my father said they didn't leave us anything, he really meant it."
Clarke didn't say a word as she looked up at him. She stood and examined a cut on his upper arm.
"It's just a scratch."
"You're making friends fast. Keep it covered. It could get infected." She insisted as I pulled myself to my feet walking over to them.
"You guys ready to go?" I asked "Nice pack." I said seeing the material draped over Wells' shoulder.
"Yeah, seat belts and insulation. I also packed part of the parachute, figured we could use it to carry out Jasper." He said turning to Clarke.
"Good. Give it to someone else. You're not coming with us."
I was a little taken aback at her comment. What did she have against him? I thought they were friends.
"My ankle's fine, Clarke." He insisted as he followed her down the ladder.
"It's not your ankle, Wells, it's you." She complained.
"You came back for reinforcements. I'm gonna help." The more they argued the more curious I got.
Monty walked out of the shadows as I jumped off the ladder and landed on the floor. "Clarke, he's right. We need him. So far no one else has volunteered."
"I'm sorry, Monty, but you're not going, either."
"What?" I asked in surprise and confusion.
"Like hell, I'm not. Jasper's my best friend." He retorted.
"You're too important. You were raised on Farm Station and recruited by engineering."
"So?" He asked not understanding her statement.
"So... food and communication. What's up here," she said tapping the side of his head "it's gonna save us all. You figure out how to talk to the Ark and I'll bring Jasper back."
She turned around to see Finn walking into the dropship. "Hey. You ready?"
"I'm not going anywhere," He scoffed "and neither should any of you. That spear was thrown with pinpoint accuracy from 300 feet."
"So what, we let Jasper die?" I asked.
"That's not gonna happen." Clarke insisted and turned back to Finn "Spacewalker? What a joke. You think you're such an adventurer. You're really just a coward." She pushed past him and walked outside.
"It's not an adventure, Clarke, it's a suicide mission." He pushed, following her.
"Build a wall. Use the fallen trees. I'll watch out for her." Wells said to Finn and walked out.
I went to follow as well but I stopped in front of Finn and said "Jasper looked up to you. I did too."
Monty and I walked out and I caught up to Clarke. "Bellamy has a gun. I got him to help."
"Why would we need his help?" Wells asked me.
"He's influential. And I hate to say it, but he can be useful. Get him on our side, kinda, make him understand the severity of this."
"That's insane," Wells said.
"That's a good idea," Clarke said not taking any notice of Wells. "Let's go."
I walked over to where Bellamy was inspecting Octavia's wound.
"You could have been killed." He said as we approached.
"She would have been if Jasper and Annie didn't jump in to pull her out," Clarke informed him.
Octavia looked up at us and said "You guys leaving? I'm coming, too."
Bellamy immediately disagreed "No, no. No way. Not again."
"He's right." I added "Your leg's just gonna slow us down. We're here for you." I said with a taunting tune, as I turned to Bellamy.
"I know you have a gun." Clarke mentioned. He sighed and nodded, then proceeded to glare at me. "Good. Let's go." She said and turned.
Bellamy shook his head uselessly. He knew he didn't have a choice in the matter and decided not to fight it.
"You heard her, Freckles," I said to him "Let's get moving."
"Murphy, come with me," Bellamy called out, ignoring my new nickname for him.
"Those guys aren't just bullies, Clarke. They're dangerous criminals." Wells explained.
"I'm counting on it." She replied.
After five minutes of walking, Wells was twenty feet in front of Clarke and I, Bellamy and Murphy were thirty feet behind.
"What's the deal with you and Wells? I thought you two were friends." I asked quietly.
"I don't want to talk about it." She said with a dismayed tone.
"Oh, that bad." I cringed. "Rough subject. I'm sorry."
"It's ok. It's not like I'm trying to hide the fact I hate him."
"Hey, hold up," Bellamy called out. We stopped walking and waiters for him to stand in front of us. He had his gun out. "What's the rush? You don't survive a spear through the heart."
"Put the gun away, Bellamy," I demanded.
"Well, why don't you do something about it, huh?" He taunted me, waving the gun in front of my face.
To shut him up I grabbed the barrel of the gun and jarred his hand away so he let go then held the gun to his forehead threateningly.
"Point made." He replied before I removed the gun from his head and held it out for him to take it back from me. "Don't mess with Annie," he noted out loud.
"Jasper screamed when they moved him." Clarke explained "If the spear struck his heart, he'd have died instantly. It doesn't mean we have time to waste."
Clarke went to turn around and keep walking when Bellamy grabbed her arm just above her wrist band. "As soon as you take this wristband off, we can go."
She quickly tore her arm out of his grip and said: "The only way the Ark is gonna think I'm dead is if I'm dead. Got it?"
"Brave princess." He jested menacingly.
"Hey," Finn called as he appeared from behind them and stepped between Clarke and Bellamy. "Why don't you find your own nickname? You call this a rescue party? Got to split up, cover more ground. Clarke, come with me."
She walked off beside him as they gained more distance I began to follow.