0 0 7. S1 E4 Part 1

I sauntered around camp, observing the construction of the wall. Murphy and Mbege also supervised as we covered more areas. Mbege I didn't mind, it was Murphy that got on my nerves. He was so authoritative and power-hungry. He was also a jerk. He thought he was better than everyone else and amused himself at the expense of others. I often caught him glaring at me with a poisonous stare. He unnerved me, to say the least.
I continued to ignore him as I helped people move debris and logs around the place, the sooner the wall was done the better off we would all be, and safer too. I wanted nothing more than to close my eyes and disappear, open my eyes and be far far away from here. But I had a feeling today was not going to go as planned. something was going to happen and it was only a matter of time before all hell broke loose.
"Annie," I heard a voice call. I spun around and saw Octavia racing towards me with a concerned look on her face, with Jasper in tow. Jasper looked terrified, which made me nervous. "Where's my brother?" She asked as she stopped in front of me.
"In his tent," I said gesturing behind me in the general direction. "Why?"
She lowered her voice and said "We found something just outside the wall. Find Clarke and meet us at Bellamy's tent." She instructed. I nodded my head and left to find Clarke.
I headed to the dropship, I figured she would be there inspecting Monty's progress to contact the Ark. I burst through the parachute draped door and spotted her standing behind Monty. "Clarke, I need to borrow you for a moment," I said.
She turned to acknowledgement and told Monty to keep working before she walked over to me.
"What is it?" She asked curiously.
"I'm not sure. But I think it's big." I explained.
She nodded her head and followed me outside. As we walked I noticed that she wasn't wearing her wristband. "What happened to your wristband?" I asked.
She glanced down at her wrist and said: "Monty needed a working wristband to talk to the Ark, he said we should be talking to the Ark by nightfall." I decided not to press the matter further, remembering I overheard her conversation with Finn just this morning. It was her mother who turned in her Father and got him killed. I would be furious too.
We got to Bellamy's tent and inside, he, Octavia and Jasper stood around a table. We walked in as that's when we saw the knife in the middle of the table.
Clarke picked up the knife and turned it over in her hands. "This knife was made of metal from the dropship."
Octavia glanced at her with her eyebrows furrowed "What do you mean?"
Clarke looked up at her and asked: "Who else knows about this?"
"No one." She confirmed. "I sent Annie for you and we brought it straight here."
Bellamy simply stared at them, trying to figure out what they were saying. "Clarke?" he asked as if to tell her to explain.
"It means the Grounders didn't kill Wells." She stated. I felt my heart drop to my stomach. "It was one of us."
There was silence between us for a moment.
"So, there's a murderer in the camp?" Octavia spoke.
I quickly spoke up, almost in self defence: "There's more than one murderer in this camp. This isn't news. We need to keep it quiet." I explained. "If this gets out we could have a riot on our hands."
Clarke continued to examine the knife before she stepped towards the exit when Bellamy stepped in front of her. "Get out of my way, Bellamy," she demanded.
"Clarke, be smart about this. Look at what we've achieved... the wall, the patrols." He said cautiously, warning her that it was a bad idea. "Like it or not, thinking the Grounders killed Wells is good for us."
"Oh, good for you, you mean." She scoffed casting a spiteful glare at me and then back to him. "What... keep people afraid and they'll work for you? Is that it?"
"Yeah. That's it," he admitted. "But it's good for all of us. Fear of the Grounders is building that wall. And besides, what are you gonna do... just walk out there and ask the killer to step forward? You don't even know whose knife that is."
It was then that I recognised the knife. I knew exactly who it belonged to.
"Oh, really? J.M. John Murphy. The people have a right to know." She shoved her way past him and left abruptly.
"Damn it. This isn't going to go well." I sighed as we all followed her out.
"You son of a bitch!" Clarke cried, shoving Murphy harshly.
"What's your problem?" he spat.
Clarke held up the knife in her hand "Recognise this?"
Murphy stared at it with bewilderment. "It's my knife. Where'd you find it?"
"Where you dropped it after you killed Wells."
"Where I what?" He scoffed. He glanced around at the onlookers before turning back to Clarke "The Grounders killed Wells, not me."
"I know what you did, and you're gonna pay for it." She sneered venomously.
"Really? Bellamy, you really believe this crap?" He glanced over her shoulder to look at Bellamy for support. He said nothing. I glanced at the ground and sighed.
"You threatened to kill him. We all heard you. You hated Wells."
Murphy glanced around briefly and said "Plenty of people hated Wells. His father was the Chancellor that locked us up."
"Yeah, but you're the only one who got in a knife fight with him."
"Yeah, I didn't kill him then, either." He deadpanned.
"Tried to kill Jasper, too," Octavia mentioned out loud.
Jasper looked uneasy, this was news to him as well. "What?" He asked nervously but got no reply.
"Come on. This is ridiculous. I don't have to answer to you. I don't have to answer to anyone."
Bellamy's eyes widened at his comment "Come again?"
"Bellamy, look," He began, trying to convince us "I'm telling you, man. I didn't do this."
"They found his fingers on the ground with your knife," Bellamy stated, we were all fed up with how long this was taking. While Bellamy seemed convinced that he did kill Wells, I, however, wasn't as much any more.
I didn't like Murphy at all, but I knew how to tell a liar. I turned to Bellamy and whispered into his ear, "I think he's telling the truth."
"How can you possibly know that?" He asked firmly but quietly. He wasn't bitter, more curious and confused.
"Is this the kind of society that we want? You say there should be no rules. Does that mean that we can kill each other without... without punishment?" Clarke called out addressing everyone.
"I already told you. I didn't kill anyone." Murphy Cried out desperately.
"Bellamy, listen to me, I don't think he did this."
"I say we float him." Octavia chimed in.
"Yeah." The rest of the camp cheered in agreement.
"That's not what I'm saying." Clarke rebutted.
"Why not?" Octavia asked "He deserves to float. It's justice."
"Revenge isn't justice," I said stepping forward, trying to ease the situation.
"It's justice. Float him!"
"No!" Clarke and I cried as dozens of teenagers rushed in and attacked Murphy. Before we knew it he was on the ground, covering his face and head with his arms to protect himself somehow.
"Get off him! Get off of him! Let him go! You can't do this!" I cried, trying to pull people off him with no success. Murphy's hands were being bound behind his back and a gag tied around his mouth. They kicked him and shoved him down a hill. All the while, Clarke and I screaming for them to stop.
I fought back more when I saw them tying a rope around his neck, and tossed it over a tree branch. They were going to hang him. I tried to stop them when an elbow collided with my cheekbone. My vision when white, temporarily blinding me as I fell to the ground. I could feel a string of blood trickling down my cheek, the stinging sensation, throbbing painfully. I stood back up and tried to free him.
I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist and pulled me away "Get off me. No! No!" I screamed and turned around to see Bellamy holding me back. "You can stop this! They'll listen to you!" I insisted.
"Bellamy! You should do it." a boy said and began chanting his name. The others soon joined in.
"I saw you in the woods with Atom. I know you're not a killer." Clarke said, begging him to stop.
"Bellamy, don't do this. Don't..." Murphy whimpered. The only thing stopping him from hanging was the barrel under his feet.
Bellamy pushed past us and made his way towards Murphy. He was going to kill him.
"Don't. Bellamy. You can't do this. No, Bellamy, no!" I screamed at him right before he harshly kicked the barrel out from under him.
Bellamy turned to Clarke and said "This is on you, princess. You should've kept your mouth shut."
Out of nowhere Finn appeared and said "What the hell are you doing? Cut him down!" He turned to Charlotte who was just standing there staring. "Charlotte, get out of here now! Cut him down!" He demanded.
Finn tried to push Charlotte away from the scene but she suddenly snapped and cried. "Stop! Okay? Murphy didn't kill Wells! I did!"
"Holy crap," I muttered.
"Oh, my God." Clarke grabbed Bellamy's axe and cut the rope holding up Murphy. He tumbled to the ground, coughing and wheezing.