0 2 2. S1 E12

"Come on," Bellamy urged. "These foxholes aren't gonna build themselves." Bellamy barked as Raven and I continued to set up the tripwires we had made earlier that day. "Better hope those landmines work. All the gunpowder we're wasting, we could be making more grenades."
"You want to come over here and test one?" I sassed, flicking my hair out of my eyes as I looked up at him.
"Cute," he said disdainfully. "I need this entire section mined by morning. Then you finish the south field." He informed us as he turned to walk away
"Hey..." Raven called after him as she stood from the ground beside me and stormed over him. "I told you, we're going after Finn, Clarke, and Monty in the morning." She said quietly.
"And I told you, nobody leaves this camp." He turned again but Raven wasn't done talking.
"I'm talking to you. We can't just abandon our people. You want to lead them, show them you give a damn."
Bellamy went to retort when a gunshot echoed through the still night air. I flinched at the sudden noise and stood quickly on high alert. Everyone looked towards the origin of the sound. It was Sterling. He looked startled and afraid, and he knew he'd messed up.
"Hey... What the hell is the matter with you?" Bellamy grilled him as he assailed towards him with purpose.
"I'm sorry, man. I fell asleep." He explained with panic in his voice. "I've been on watch all day."
"We've all been on watch all day!" Bellamy shouted at him, grabbing him by his jacket. I quickly made my way towards him to try and calm him down. "That bullet was one less dead grounder."
I pulled Bellamy back and gently pushed Sterling away from him. I stepped between the two of them so that Bellamy's attention was on me. "Bell, calm down. You're scaring people."
"They should be scared!" He ranted loudly and turned around to face everyone. "The bomb on the bridge bought us some time to prepare, but that time is up!"
People began to mutter amongst themselves nervously.
"Bell, you've gotta stop," I said firmly, but he ignored me.
"The grounders are out there right now, waiting for us to leave and pick us off one by one when we do! Clarke, Finn, and Monty are gone, probably dead, and if you want to be next, I can't stop you, but no guns are leaving this camp! This camp is the only thing keeping us alive! Get back to work!"
After a few grumbles, everyone turned their attention back to their assigned task.
Bellamy stormed off, exasperated. Part of me wanted to follow him but I knew he needed some time to cool off. I turned back to raven and we finished setting up the remaining tripwires for the landmines.
"I can take it from here." Raven said, "You should go talk to him."
"What are you talking about? We've still got the entire south field to do." I reminded her.
"I can manage that. But you need to help him. He's scared, he's just too afraid to admit it. He needs your help."
I glanced up at her and studied her face. I couldn't quite figure it out, but it was a vigilant and observant expression. Did she know that I liked him?
"Maybe you should talk to him then," I suggested with a hint of bitterness. I didn't mean for it to sound so harsh, and I regretted it the moment the words left my tongue.
"We've all made bad decisions. And for what it's worth, I'm sorry. I know how you feel about him, and I knew then too."
I didn't know how to respond. I felt betrayed, but I somehow understood why she went to him. When she broke up with Finn she slept with Bellamy to try and deal with the pain. When I found out about it I cut my hair. We both dealt with pain in our own way.
"Go talk to him." She insisted with a smile.
Hesitantly I stood from the ground and walked towards the dropship, where I knew I'd find Bellamy.
I walked inside and saw him facing the battle map we had made, mapping out gunner posts and landmarks around camp. He studied it intently, ignoring Myles moaning behind him. The moment I pulled back the canvas drape he turned his head to me with an irksome look on his face.
I took a few steps towards him and he said: "Don't you think I want to go after them, too?"
I froze in my stride and took a moment to think of what I was going to say to him. "If it was you out there, do you think Monty, Clarke, or Finn would hide behind these walls?" I spoke gently, trying not to provoke him.
He let out a harsh sigh and took a few steps towards me and said "No. They'd go after me. Then they'd be dead, too." He looked up at me with a kinder glow in his eyes. I went to say something in reply but he cut me off "I am doing what I think is right for the group."
I scoffed at him said: "It's funny, you didn't think that way when Octavia went missing." I strode past him and placed my gun down on the table. "What if it was me that was out there? You'd leave me out there too?" I asked as I studied the map in front of me.
He sighed in abatement and said, "That's different."
"How?" I asked as I turned my head to look at him. "How am I any different to Clarke, Finn or Monty?"
He didn't reply, but he clearly wanted to say something. I waited for him to say something. Anything really. But nothing came.
I scoffed again and shook my head and walked towards the ladder to head up to the next level.
"Where are you going?" He asked crassly.
I spun around to glare at him. With venom in my voice, I said: "More gunpowder for your minefield... sir." I maliciously saluted him before I turned to head upstairs.
As I reached the upper level I suddenly felt my chest tighten and my breathing became strenuous. I could feel my heart beating irregularly.
I took a few deep and shaky breaths to calm myself down. After a minute or so I heard a rustling noise downstairs. Curious and concerned I began to head down the ladder to check it out. As soon as my head was through the hatchway I froze. Murphy was standing over Myles holding a sheet of plastic over his face. Murphy just killed Myles.
Murphy turned and saw me, quickly and subtly he tried to move the plastic out of my sight.
"He stopped breathing." He lied to me. "I was just... I was trying to help him."
I nodded my head in an attempt to convince him I hadn't seen anything. As I continued to make my way down the ladder I glanced at my gun that I'd left on the table. I looked up to see Murphy quickly spot it too. He knew I'd seen him suffocating Myles, and he knew I wasn't going to let him go. We both rushed for the gun, but Murphy beat me to it. I froze and held my hands up defensively as he pointed the gun at me.
"Murphy," I spoke cautiously, to keep things calm and controlled. "Just put the gun down."
I suddenly remembered the walkie in my jacket pocket. I had to somehow let Bellamy know what was going on without Murphy knowing.
He looked back at Myles lifeless body and then back to me. "He tried to kill me," He explained to me. I remember the night Murphy was hanged and then banished. Myles had tied the noose.
"Hey, don't move." He warned me, taking a step towards me as I slowly lowered one of my hands.
"Ok. Ok. It's cool." I said as I placed my hand on the outside of my pocket, feeling the outline of the walkie. I kept my left hand up as I pressed the button on the walkie with my right thumb
"No, it's not," Murphy said slowly shaking his head. "You know what'll happen to me if you tell Bellamy."
"Tell Bellamy what?" Bellamy spoke through the speaker on the walkie in my pocket.
I clenched my eyes closed, silently cursing. His voice gave it away, announcing to Murphy my plan.
"Give me the radio, Annie," Murphy said with a snarl.
I slowly reached into my pocket and pulled it out. I held it out for him to take and as he approached me to take it I pulled it back and hastily spoke into it. "Murphy has a gun. He killed Myles."
"Shut the hell up!" Murphy seethed as he swung at me and hit me across the side of the head with the butt of the rifle.
I cried out in pain as I fell to the ground blindly. I landed with a thud and the walkie was flung from my hand. I tried to grab it but Murphy once again beat me to it.
"Murphy, what the hell are you doing?" Bellamy asked firmly.
Murphy then went over to the doorway and pushed the lever up, closing the ramp, sealing us inside.
"Murphy! Murphy! Open the damn door!" I could hear Bellamy shouting from outside as the ramp creaked up slowly.
"You try to be a hero, Annie dies," Murphy responded with warning as the ramp finally shut, trapping me inside.
Murphy made me sit on a chair and he tied my hands together so I couldn't try and escape or take him out. I glanced up at him.
"What's your plan, Murphy?" I asked as I tapped my foot on the ground. "Are you going to kill me?"
"No, I thought about it, but there's no reason to kill you," he said with a shrug. "You know, I like you, Annie. You're one of the few people I actually liked in this place."
"I'm flattered," I replied sarcastically.
"I don't want to hurt you." he continued. "But I will kill you if I have to."
"You don't want— you punched me in the face! You gave me a concussion." I reminded him.
"You were in my way."
Hours passed and I grew restless, and so did Murphy as he had started pacing back and forth in front of me. Eventually, I got fed up with him.
"Do you even have a plan?" I asked agitatedly.
"Shut up." he spat back and continued pacing.
"Murphy!" Octavia cried spitefully from outside. "Murphy, if you even touch Annie, I swear to God, you're dead."
I sat bolt upright upon hearing her voice.
"Murphy, I know you can hear me." Bellamy's voice came through on the walkie Murphy had placed on the table. "All our ammo and food is in the middle level. You know that. You're leaving us vulnerable to an attack. I can't let that happen."
Murphy picked up the walkie and brought it up to his face. "Yeah, well, in case you haven't noticed, you're not exactly in control right now." He replied.
"Come on, Murphy. You don't want to hurt Annie." Bellamy said provocatively. "You want to hurt me. So what do you say? How about you trade her for me?"
"No," I muttered to myself. I felt my breath hitch and my heart rate picked up again. I couldn't let him sacrifice himself for me.
"All you have to do is let her go, and I'll take her place."
"No, Bellamy! Don't!" I cried out.
"Shut up." Murphy snapped, pointing the barrel of the gun at my face. "How?" He asked Bellamy.
"Simple. You open the door, I walk in, she walks out."
After a moment of thought Murphy walked over to me and cut the ropes around my wrists and then walked over to the lever and pulled it down, opening the door and the ramp lowered.
"Just you, Bellamy, unarmed," Muphy called out the door as the ramp hit the ground. "10 seconds or I'll put one in Annie's leg. One, two, three, four, five --"
"I'm here," Bellamy announced. His voice clearly indicated he was just outside the tarp.
"Get up. Go," Murphy said jabbing the rifle at me. I stood and walked out through the tarp and into the sunlight.
The moment I saw Bellamy I ran to him and wrapped my arms around him. "Please, don't do this," I begged him with fear in my voice. "I won't let you die for me."
"Hey, hey." He pulled away slightly, placing his hands on my cheeks, gently stroking them in a calming manner. "It's okay. I got this." He said softly. "Just go." he insisted.
"No please, don't." I pleaded with him as a tear escaped and ran down my cheek.
"Go." He said and pressed a kiss to my forehead.
Octavia and Raven took me by my arms and pulled me down the ramp.
"No!" I screamed as I struggled against their grip, watching Bellamy disappear beyond through the curtain and the ramp began to rise again. "No!" I cried again and fell to my knees on the ground.
Octavia wrapped her arms around comfortingly and said "It's okay, Annie. Bell's got a plan. He'll be ok."