Chapter Twenty Eight

It's been three weeks since I left Dad's house with just a simple bag and started living at Jake and Harrison. I've seen Dad at work and been very passive aggressive towards him; I'd walk past him and shoulder barge him as I pass and just the classic cold shoulder and ignoring tactic seem to work as well.

"Tower to north" I radio "Go ahead" "There seems to be a kid out the back, who just got swept out. You need to go now" I say as I radio through, looking through the binoculars and I watch as Dad grabs a board and paddles out. I watch as he grabs the kid and returns her back to the safety of the sand "That was a close one. Nice spotting Eve. Don't want to lose a kid, down here" Dad says through the radio and everyone can hear and everyone knows he's talking about me. "You know he's talking about you?" Mouse says beside me and Maxi agrees. I grab the radio again and hold the button down "Too bad, she's gone" I snap and place the radio back down on the counter. After a few moments of silence, "That was a bit harsh, E" Chappo says through the radio and I go to reply but Mouse grabs it before I do and Maxi slaps the back of my head.

On my lunch hour, I walk down to the sand to eat my lunch there, when the can-am rolls past. Dad's in the can-am. He gets out and sits beside me "Aren't you meant to be on juty?" I say looking at the waves "I want you back. Come home Eve" He begs "No," I say simply, taking him by surprise. "What? Why not?" He stumbles "I said no dad. I'm not coming home" I say continuing to watch the waves "You yelled me because I wanted to know my mum and my sister, that I've never met! You grew up your mum and brother. You don't know what I'm going through" I say, mumbling the last part "What about Leo and Billy? They're your brothers" Dad justifies "They're three and five" I say finally looking at me with tears in my eyes. My dad out of all people didn't want me to meet my biological mother and sister. "Eve..." Dad mumbles "Forget Dad," I say standing up and walking up to the promenade and sat at a cafe.

"Is Harries trying to talk to Eve?" Maxi asks as he spots the can-am pull up to Eve's figure sitting on the sand "Yeah, I think so" Harrison says watching as well with Deano, Jake, Jesse and Glick. "She's living with you two. How's that going?" Jesse asks "Yeah, it's interesting living with a girl that isn't your sister" Harrison answers, "I think he meant if Harries had tried to contact Eve?" Deano asks "Yeah, he let her 'cool off' for a week or two, and for the past week he comes over and tries to talk her but she walks away into mine and her's room. He's called us a few times as well" Jake answers watching the father and daughter intensely. "You and her, sharing a room?" Glick asks surprised "Yeah. We don't have a spare room and she is my girlfriend" Jake replies "How's Harries taking that?" Deano asks as another father figure to Eve "He doesn't know. They're not really in speaking terms if you hadn't noticed" Jake says pointing the pair as Eve stands up and walks away. "She's gonna have to get her act together or it's all going to fall apart," Jesse says as Eve reaches second ramp "Alright, you lot, back to work. No more spying on them" Deano says being the team leader and they all go back to work.

"When are you going to talk to Harries again?" Reidy asks "Why does everyone keep asking me that?!" I sigh in the black rhino that's parked at south corner "He is your father, E. He cares about you a lot" Reidy tries to justify with me "You make it sound like I'm in the wrong!" I argue "Eve, I'm not picking sides," Reidy says "Yes you are! You all are! I know what you talk about in the tower when neither dad or I there! You talk about us and how you think I'm in the wrong!" I say and sitting back in the seat "Okay, so let's hear your side. I've heard Harries, let's hear your's" Reidy asks and I shake my head "You're not going to believe me. You're dad's best friend, you're definitely not going to side with me" I say with my tongue on the side of my mouth. I get out of the rhino, and climb onto the back "Eve! You're being ridiculous! Come back down" Reidy asks I climb on to the top of the rhino and sit up there watching the waves and the swimmers.