Delicate

Chapter Three

Gabriel urged Caleb to answer to his question, even though he knew the answer already. It took a while before Caleb could have the courage to look at Gabriel into the eyes. There were two possible scenarios, he could admit that he felt something for Antoine, even if he perfectly knew Antoine was straight; or, he could just try to forget Antoine and he would try to re-love Gabriel in the process. It's not that he didn't love him, it's just that he had lost interest in him, which was worst.

"No, Gab, I'm not into him" Caleb sighed. "He's just handsome and I like how goofy he is, but it's not that I have feelings or something towards him."

"Caleb, I need you to be completely honest with me" Gabriel said. "I know we can work this out."

"It's done, Gab" Caleb replied. "I have none and will never have feelings for Griezmann. He's straight anyways."

"Is he?" Gabriel narrowed his eyes.

"Stop it" Caleb snapped. "We're not arguing for him again."

"I mean, you're the one that argued yesterday, I was just being yelled at" Gabriel defended himself.

"Gabriel, enough" Caleb shook his head. "I'm not in the mood for fighting."

"Okay, okay mr. grumpy" Gabriel drew nearer Caleb. "Caleb, we've been together for so long and we have never even argued for anything."

"I know" Caleb answered.

"Please, just don't break my heart" Gabriel whispered loudly enough for Caleb to hear it. Caleb didn't respond.

Antoine had his hand stitched after breaking the mirror with his fist. He had become a frequent visitor of the emergency's room. After he had his hand completely bandaged, he went to check out at the front desk. He felt a few gazes over him but thankfully nobody approached him, he hated being the center of attention. Things weren't looking that well for Antoine, his shoulder was fractured and his hand stitched. He wasn't going to be able to return to the field any time soon; however, what was really bothering his mind was Caleb, he couldn't stop thinking about him.

"Anything else I can help you with tonight sir?" The nurse in the reception desk looked at Antoine.

"Is maybe dr. Brown here?" Antoine tried to sound casual.

"Yes, she is" she beamed. "You want me to call her?"

"I mean dr. Caleb Brown" Antoine mumbled.

"Oh.. Caleb!" She said out loud, Antoine blushed. "No, he's not. He will be here tomorrow from 9am to 8pm. Do you need an appointment?"

"No, it's okay" Antoine smiled. "Thank you..."

Six days went by pretty quickly. It was late in the afternoon when Antoine read an outdated magazine while he waited in the sitting area of the hospital. He was unrecognizable when he used a cap and an oversized hoodie; he enjoyed the incognito moment. For the last couple of days, Antoine had been walking on the treadmill and it was making him go crazy. He needed to get back to the field and run after a ball, but with his hand stitched and his shoulder immobilized, time was his biggest enemy.

"Antoine Griezmann?" Caleb called out his name. He stood up while some people had realized they been sitting next to him.

"Nice to see you again" Caleb added as he closed the door of his office.

Antoine side-smiled. "It's been a week."

"I would ask you what happened, but I can see in your history that you have six stitches in you hand" Caleb said white flipping through some sheets.

Antoine nodded. "Yeah... I rather not talk about it." If he only knew he was the cause of those bruises in his fists though.

"That's fine," Caleb beamed. "Let me check your shoulder then."

Antoine shivered with the touch of Caleb's cold fingers. He side-viewed how his blue eyes examined him thoroughly, he could almost feel his breath slightly caressing his skin. He examined every inch of Caleb's face, his nose, his cheeks and his lips. He bit his lips as his nose could make out some of Caleb's perfume and enjoyed the way he smelled. He imagined in smelling it right from the source and then drawing nearer to his crimson lips to finally... stop. He still didn't understand why his senses had become so sharp at that time, but he was enjoying it.

Caleb noticed that Antoine had relaxed a little bit since he walked in. He was trying to concentrate in examining his shoulder, but those grey sweatpants he was wearing were a complete distraction. Caleb could feel Antoine's gaze over him and made eye contact for a split second in which made them look in opposite directions immediately. Caleb could have been wrong but he could bet on his life that there was some kind of (sexual) tension between them.

"It looks good" Caleb smiled. "It will just take a little bit more time and we will be able to start the physiotherapy."

"Sounds great" Antoine smiled back. "I'm eager to get back to the field."

"A couple of weeks more and it will be like nothing happened" Caleb said. "Patience is the key."

"I know, I know" Antoine beamed. "Thank you."

Antoine was about to leave when Caleb remembered that the nurse in the reception had told him that the French guy had asked for him the other day. Caleb has been waiting to meet him for the whole day and he needed to know why did he ask for him, even if it had been for the silliest reason.

"Hey, did you ask for me the other day?" Caleb took Antoine by surprise with that question.

"Am..." Antoine trailer off, he thought in lying. "Yeah, I kind of did."

"How come?" Caleb acted as if he didn't care, but he was craving to know his answer.

"It wasn't you, it was the other doctor Brown" Antoine replied, he congratulated himself for being such a good lier. He wasn't trying to avoid making it look like he was interested in him, but he kind of did.

"Oh, I see" Caleb tried to hold his laugh. "How do you know her? Were you her patient?"

"Exactly, exactly" Antoine said. "Really good at what she does."

"Really" Caleb raised his eyebrows. "That's interesting cause doctor Elena Brown is a gynecologist."

Antoine face-slapped himself mentally. "Er..."

"It's fine, I get it" Caleb said. "You're in love with me."

Antoine's eyes opened like plates, rage took over him. "Excuse me?"

"Oh sorry, I was just joking" Caleb explained.

"What kind of jokes are that?" Antoine snapped.

"I'm deeply sorry, I shouldn't have said anything" Caleb shivered at seeing Antoine so upset.

"Do you think I'm a fucking fag?" Antoine exclaimed.

"Excuse me?" Caleb muttered. "Since when being gay is bad thing?"

"I could beat you up right now!" Antoine shouted. "I don't mind breaking my other hand in your fucking face, freak!"

"Please calm down" Caleb said alarmed.

"Shut the fuck up! Before I break your fucking face" Antoine freaked out. "Stay the fuck away from me, you faggot."

Two security guards followed Antoine to the entrance of the hospital after he stormed out of Caleb's office. Everyone had been listening from the outside to the tragic scene that had just took place seconds ago and some of Caleb's friends approached to check on him. That day Caleb knew that words could really hurt and very badly.

"You can sue him for this act of violence and homophobia" the same nurse from the reception said.

"No, it's fine" Caleb blubbered. "I just never want to see him again".