Man On a Wire

Chapter Twenty-One

Antoine trained for the semifinals against Belgium when Caleb received a call that his sister had gone into labor. He quickly packed his stuff and booked the next flight to London, it was a rainy day in the city when Caleb met a beautiful and healthy baby boy named Maximo. Caleb carried him in his arms as he realized how fragile and delicate he was, he inhaled calmly as he felt comfortable within his uncle's arms. He strolled around the room with the baby in his arms, his sister watched him carefully as she enjoyed having her family together.

"You're a natural" Taylor muttered weakly from her bed.

"Too bad I won't be able to have my own" Caleb replied quietly, trying to not wake up the baby.

"You can" Taylor said. "I mean, not naturally, but there are ways."

"Yeah, I don't think so" Caleb wheezed, the baby snuggled softly in Caleb's arms.

"You can come and visit him whenever you want" Taylor yawned. "Soon I won't be able to stand him."

Caleb laughed. "He looks just like you" Caleb commented.

"He's been born for a couple of days, you can't say that" Taylor laughed as she drank some water. "Hope he's as good looking as we are."

"I have no doubt he will be a heartbreaker" Caleb smiled as he looked at the baby.

"Just like his uncle" Taylor snarled, Caleb shook his head.

The soft knocks made everybody in the room turn their heads towards the door. It opened slowly and revealed a handsome man, his green eyes made contact with Caleb's blue eyes immediately. Caleb smiled at him politely and continued strolling around with the baby. He made his way quietly around the room and greeted Taylor with a kiss in the cheek, he held her hand as he congratulated her on her baby and made his way where Caleb was standing with the baby.

"He's Luke" Taylor said quietly. "He's Louis' brother."

"Nice to meet you" Luke whispered at Caleb.

"Likewise" Caleb smiled, he couldn't deny Luke was attractive, but his mind was always busy thinking about Antoine.

"Can I hold the baby for a second?" Luke asked softly, Caleb nodded.

Caleb sat down in the brown sofa next to Taylor's stretcher, somebody knocked on the door and it was Caleb's parents turn to arrive to the newborn party. Caleb felt anxious as his mother and father made their way towards Taylor, they kissed her and congratulated her on her baby. As soon as they saw Caleb, his mother sobbed softly while she kissed him nonstop, and his father stretched his hand firmly without crossing a word with him. Luke gave the baby to Caleb's dad and sat down next to Caleb, his father held the baby for a while before he started crying uncontrollably.

"Why don't you give him to Caleb?" Taylor suggested. "He was pretty calm when he was holding him."

"I don't think it's a good idea" Caleb's father replied.

"Why?" Taylor said defiantly. "It's his uncle, he's family too, in case you have forgotten."

"Oh, his uncle.." Caleb's dad wheezed. "Didn't you mean his aunt?"

"Harold, that's enough" Caleb's mother interfered.

"What is he gonna do? Cry like this baby?" Harold snarled. "He doesn't even defend himself!"

"I think I'm gonna go" Caleb announced while standing up.

"No!" Taylor exclaimed angrily. "If someone needs to go it's dad."