The Legal Guardian

Chapter Nineteen

Caleb was cooking pasta on a Tuesday night when the Antoine's name popped up on the TV, he turned the volume up as he tried to know what was being told about him. Caleb listened to the typical sports news about the World Cup and the French national team when somebody knocked on his door. Caleb frowned as he wasn't expecting anybody; Antoine had gone to Clairefontaine and Erika had gone to Barcelona to visit some friends. He turned the TV off and went to the door, watching himself in the mirror as he was about to open the front door. A blonde and tall lady beamed at Caleb as he opened the door, her blue eyes shone with happiness as she saw the face of her beloved brother. Caleb rushed and hugged her as tight as he could, but as soon as Caleb embraced his sister, he noticed that her belly was oddly big.

"Taylor, is there something you want to tell me?" Caleb squinted his eyes as he finished giving love to his sister.

"Louis and I are going to have a baby" Taylor said.

"That's fantastic!" Caleb beamed and hugged again, this time more carefully. "Did you come all the way from England to tell me just that? You could've just told me over the phone."

"That's not all" Taylor said as she settled back in Caleb's living room. "I want to ask you something."

"Is everything okay?" Caleb frowned, his voice a little shaky.

"Yeah, everything is fine" Taylor smiled.

"Then what is it?" Caleb replied as he served some iced tea.

"Louis and I have been talking about this since we found out I'm pregnant and, I know this is a little bit freaky, but it's just to be precautious" Taylor said, Caleb looked at her.

"What is it!" Caleb exclaimed.

"We want you to be his legal guardian" Taylor stated.

"Legal guardian?!" Caleb asked worriedly. "I can't even take care of myself!"

"Cal, it's not that I'm giving you out my baby or anything" Taylor said. "The parenting book I'm reading says it would be just a precaution to have a legal guardian in case of anything that could happen."

"Jeez, Taylor" Caleb sighed. "Have you asked mom or dad?"

"No, not really" Taylor replied. "I don't want to talk to them since... you know what happened."

"Let's not talk about that" Caleb shrugged. "It's really a surprise and an honor for me that you're asking me to do that and I love it."

"So, is that a yes?" Taylor cheered.

"Of course" Caleb beamed, Taylor hugged him tightly. "Thank you for thinking about me, really."

"You're my favorite brother" Taylor kissed him in the forehead. "I want you to be part of my life too, you missed my wedding, please don't miss the chance to meet your nephew."

"Alright, I won't" Caleb held her hand. "But, if things get awkward, I will leave."

"Fine" Taylor scoffed. "So, how's everything going with Gabriel? Did he proposed already? Where is him by the way?"

"What?" Caleb muttered.

"He called me a couple of months ago" Taylor recalled as she sipped her tea. "He told me he was planning to propose to you and asked me for a couple of pictures of you as a child."

"He told me he wanted to do like a flashback video, of all of you together and blah blah..." Taylor added after sipping again. "I thought it was a cute idea, how did it go?"

"We broke up a couple of weeks ago" Caleb said, Taylor placed her tea down and looked at him condescendingly.

"Are you serious? I'm so sorry, Cal... I didn't know" Taylor grimaced sadly as she patted Caleb's back.