Everlasting Oblivion

Chapter Eleven

Antoine couldn't feel more confused as he stared at Caleb. His heart was still accelerated as he tried to analyze why would Caleb break the kiss. He had completely misinterpreted the outcome of the kiss, by that time, Antoine expected to have his hand under Caleb's shorts and not to be waiting for his explanation.

"This is so wrong" Caleb repeated. "You are supposed to be my patient, we can't be romantically involved."

"It's just a kiss" Antoine replied calmly, he couldn't believe he was saying those words. "It's not that we are getting married."

"It's just a kiss?!" Caleb exclaimed. "Do you know how many careers have ended due to unethical medical practices?"

"Let's just change my physician, if that's a big deal to you" Antoine snarled.

"You don't get it, right?" Caleb scoffed. "The papers you signed were an agreement for the ten sessions of physiotherapy with me."

"Just tear down those papers" Antoine shrugged. "I'll tell them I don't want you as my doctor."

"Antoine, your football club is one of the highest investors in the hospital" Caleb said. "One bad tip from you and my career will be over."

"If you knew all this since the beginning, why would you kiss me?!" Antoine demanded. Touché.

"I-I don't know!" Caleb stammered. "I just couldn't help it, I'm attracted to you."

Antoine felt satisfied at listening to Caleb's confession, he was relieved that he wasn't the one who said it first. He always felt that Caleb had an advantage over him, but from that moment, he understood that Caleb was as vulnerable as him. The effect they caused on each other was more intense as they became more intimate. Antoine wanted to be with Caleb and Caleb wanted to be with Antoine, but there was always something that would bring them together and bring them apart at the same time. It was up to them if they wanted to risk everything just to be with the one another.

"Well, it was just a kiss" Antoine said calmly. "Nothing ever happened."

"Do you want it to stay like that?" Caleb asked looking at him in the eyes. "Like nothing ever happened between us?"

Antoine frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Nothing" Caleb muttered. "I'm making it seem like a big deal."

"I still don't get it" Antoine replied, Caleb smiled.

"Antoine is clear that you want me, you don't need to tell me. But we need to be off each other until your treatment is over, at least" Caleb explained. Antoine gulped.

"Okay, I guess" Antoine shrugged. "Nothing ever happened here, then."

Caleb got out of the pool and dried himself with a towel. He didn't even bothered in changing back in his clothes as he was desperate to get out of Antoine's house. He politely said goodbye to Antoine and got into his car quickly, he was driving back to his house when he realized that he was still wearing Antoine's swimsuit. He face-slapped himself and put a mental note to give it back to Antoine as he made his way to the elevator. He got out in the eighth floor and walked back to his apartment thinking in why he stopped the kiss between Antoine an him, he rummaged in his pants pockets looking for his keys when somebody called out his name.

"Caleb, hey!" Erika waved cheerfully at him as he tried to enter to his house.

"Hi, Erika" Caleb forced a smile. Erika was distracted looking at his shorts.

"I can see you went swimming" Erika commented as she shook his head.

"Yeah, kind of" Caleb replied.

"I was thinking in going to the store to get some sugar, but since it's almost midnight, I don't think anything would be open right now" Erika said. "Would you mind sharing a little bit of your sugar with me? I would really appreciate it."

Caleb was alarmed when he heard it was almost midnight, he couldn't believe it was that late. "Sure, no problem."

Erika was impressed by Caleb's place, it was no different to hers, but the style and all the decorations were exquisite. Caleb dropped all his stuff in the kitchen counter and went directly to the cupboard were he kept all the kitchen essentials. Erika looked for any family pictures that could indicate that he was married or taken, but since she found nothing in sight, she was feeling hopeful.

"Did you want white or brown sugar?" Caleb asked holding two giant jars filled with sugar. "I also have low-calorie sweeteners."

"White is fine" Erika smiled widely. "Your place is beautiful."

"Thanks" he said as he fill up a mug with sugar for her. Erika leaned her arms on top of the kitchen island while Caleb filled up the mug. She didn't have any intentions in leaving Caleb's apartment soon.

"So, what do you do for a living?" Erika asked casually.

"I'm a doctor" Caleb replied. "Physiotherapist."

"Woah" she said impressed. "Handsome and intelligent."

"Thank you" Caleb chuckled as his cheeks burned. "You're very beautiful too."

"You're so sweet" she giggled, she thought he was flirting with her rather than being nice. "Is there anybody in your life?"

"Not anymore" Caleb replied, Erika cheered in her insides. "We broke up a couple of weeks ago. It just didn't work out."

"I'm sorry" she said, she certainly wasn't. "I'm sure there's someone better for you."

Caleb realized that Erika was trying to hit on him, so it was his duty to take her back to Earth. "Yeah, he was a nice guy, but I guess we weren't for one another."

Erika's soul fell to the ground. "Wait, are you gay?"

"Yeah" Caleb nodded. "I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression."

"Don't be" Erika smiled. "Now that I think about it."

"What?" Caleb asked.

"Nothing" Erika smiled. "Thank you for the sugar."

"Anytime" Caleb smiled back.

Erika got to her apartment and saw everything more clearly. The day she met Caleb, she noticed Antoine and him completely shocked when they saw each other, as if they already knew the one another. She thought it was her imagination, but everything seemed to fit perfectly. She debated whether asking Antoine about him, but she thought it was a little risky to put pressure on him. Antoine trusted her and if she was wrong, it could mean exposing not just Antoine, but also Caleb. What if neither of them wanted everybody to know?

She calmed down and convinced herself that she was overreacting a little bit. She was sure that Antoine would never let her humiliate herself in front of Caleb if he was the guy Antoine was into.

Right?