Things He Does In The Name Of Love

Chapter Twenty-Five

Caleb was about to finish his shift when the nurse at the reception told him that he had one more patient left for the day. Caleb rolled his eyes annoyedly as he took the patient's medical history, he frowned as he read Gabriel's name on the sheet. He stood still for a couple of seconds before the door was opened by Gabriel, Caleb greeted him politely and invited him to sit down.

"I know how you love the last patient of the day" Gabriel sneered. "Which makes this more satisfying."

"Are you even really injured?" Caleb rolled his eyes.

"Emotionally" Gabriel snapped as he stood up and started walking around Caleb's office, touching everything he saw in his way.

"Gab, why are you..."

"Don't you dare to call me like that!" Gabriel exclaimed cutting Caleb off in mid-sentence.

"Whatever" Caleb scoffed. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm just repeating the French guy's strategy" Gabriel shrugged.

"Huh?" Caleb replied confused.

"I came here to see if I could make you fall in love with me again, seems like you have something for people that are your patients" Gabriel shrugged as he fiddled with Caleb's stethoscope.

"You're crazy" Caleb wheezed.

"What if I break my arm and I need physiotherapy?" Gabriel asked. "Like right here and now."

"Gab, what you need is a psychiatrist, you're clearly distressed" Caleb said slowly. "Let me just get her number, we can get you some help."

"Caleb, I am not mentally ill!" Gabriel exclaimed. "I just want what he had, the team we were."

"I don't think..."

"Just hear me out, alright?" Gabriel cut him off in mid-sentence. "Just one minute."

"Okay" Caleb sighed and leaned back on his chair.

"Who was the one who has always listened to you when you are upset?" Gabriel asked rhetorically. "Who knows your favorite food, your favorite songs and your favorite pop diva? Your favorite color, your favorite season and your favorite drink?"

"Gab..."

"Who knows what you hate the most and your allergies?!" Gabriel demanded desperately. "Who has looked after you when you were sick and cooked you some chicken broth?! Huh? Tell me!"

"Gab.."

"Who was the one who looked after you when your father beat you up to death?" Gabriel inquired.

"Gab, don't do this" Caleb scoffed as he tried to calm Gabriel down.

"Tell me!" Gabriel screamed angrily in the verge of tears.

"It was you" Caleb answered.

"Exactly!" Gabriel exclaimed as he calmed himself down. "It wasn't the French guy, it was me!"

"And I'm grateful for everything you have done for me" Caleb replied calmly as he stood up.

"Then why can't we get back together? I still love you so much Caleb" Gabriel blubbered. "I can forget everything, but let's give us another chance."

"Gab, I don't think that can be possible" Caleb replied as he drew nearer to Gabriel.

"You understand that I'm pushing aside my pride and dignity for coming to you, right?" Gabriel asked, Caleb nodded. "And it all would be worth it if you could just take me back."

"No, Gab" Caleb shook his head. "We will never get back together."

"But why?!" Gabriel cried. "I can forget that you cheated on me and that you beat me up! I will make you fall in love with me again, I promise."

"No, Gab" Caleb sighed and felt terrible for Gabriel. "I'm not changing my mind."

"But why!" Gabriel exclaimed and gripped Caleb by the arms.

"Because I don't love you anymore" Caleb replied frustratedly, Gabriel's soul fell to the ground.

"I'm going to act like I didn't hear that" Gabriel said.

"Gab, don't do this to yourself" Caleb caressed Gabriel's arms. "You need to let go."

"Do you love the French guy?" Gabriel asked as tears streamed in his eyes.

Caleb didn't respond.

"I know you do" Gabriel sighed as he dried the tears with back of his hand. "I saw you and him kissing in the TV when France won the World Cup. I never had worse feeling in my life."

"I'm sorry" Caleb muttered.

"I'm so tired of hearing you apologizing" Gabriel replied annoyed. "I just hope you two are very happy."

"Thank you, man" Caleb beamed.

"It was sarcasm" Gabriel rolled his eyes.

"My bad" Caleb chuckled.

"So, are you boyfriends or something?" Gabriel said as he sat on top of Caleb's desk.

"I don't think it's prudent to talk about that" Caleb said, Gabriel clenched his fists.

"I just blame the day you met that guy" Gabriel sighed. "He ruined my life."

"And don't say you're sorry" Gabriel added as he saw Caleb opening his mouth to say something.

"Alright" Caleb hissed and closed his arms.

"I will just let you know something" Gabriel said seriously. "If you ever thought this was the last time you'd see me, you're wrong."

"Gab, don't do anything stupid" Caleb begged as he put his hands together.

"Stop calling me Gab" Gabriel snapped. "It makes me believe like you still care about me."

"I do" Caleb nodded.

"You can't care about people you don't love" Gabriel uttered before opening the door and leaving.

Caleb went home feeling guilty, even though he perfectly knew he wasn't responsible for Gabriel's feelings. It had been almost a year since they broke up, so him showing up out of the blue made no sense to Caleb. He had completely forgotten about Gabriel by the time he parked his car next to Antoine's, the red McLaren that Caleb could perfectly identify in the distance. Caleb opened the door and found Antoine asleep in the living room, he turned the TV off and picked up the empty plate in which Antoine must have eaten a sandwich.

"Hey, sleepyhead" Caleb called Antoine from the kitchen. "Wake up."

Antoine didn't even move.

"Antoine?" Caleb repeated louder. "Damn it, wake up."

"Hey!" Caleb shouted, Antoine stood still.

Caleb rushed where Antoine was sleeping and measured the pulse on his neck: normal. Caleb then lifted his arm and saw how it dropped aimlessly and quickly: Antoine wasn't asleep, he was unconscious.

"It makes me sick that you're calling him sleepyhead" Gabriel snarled from the inside.

"Gabriel, what did you do!" Caleb exclaimed frustratedly. "I need to take him to the hospital!"

"Calm down" Gabriel laughed. "It's just chloroform."

"Why would you do this?" Caleb asked as he couldn't understand what was going on.

"The three of us need to talk" Gabriel said seriously. "It might get ugly."

Caleb watched Gabriel in shock as he smirked at how Caleb was protecting Antoine. Maybe, after all, he should have called the psychiatrist...