Part 6: Therapy

Therapy. So much therapy. I've been trying a different therapist every few days until I find the right one. They've all been fairly good, but I haven't found one that that I completely click with. 

I watch the clock in the waiting area nervously as I tap my leg against the floor. I need this one to be a good one, I'm running out of options. At exactly 3:00 out walked a middle aged woman, with greying hair, and a face of natural beauty. She called my name and I followed her back. 

"Nice to meet you Kamden, I'm Dr. Mary Morgan, but please, just call me Mary."

"Very nice to meet you Mary. You can call me Kam." 

"So, any questions for me? This is just going to be an introductory session, just getting to know each other, just to get comfortable."

I start firing off my usual questions. I get the knowledge I'm seeking. She is the one. One of the easiest people to talk to, she's calm, and she lets me take the lead of the conversation, she's not prying, she doesn't push me to answer some of the questions I wasn't ready to answer. 

"Let me ask, what caused you to seek therapy?"

"Well, I started therapy after my dad passed... I went to grief counseling for a bit, and then my marriage turned into turmoil, it was abusive, and then after I left, I sought out a more intense therapy to better myself, I got married very young, I didn't really know who I was as an independent , I took a lot of time for soul searching, and now, I just enjoy it, and it helps me cope with some of  the anxieties. Especially now, I just moved here, and I'm starting a new business. Just a lot of new things in my life."

"It seems like you're really on the right track, and I'm proud of you for searching for the right one, even if that isn't me, don't settle, finding the right therapist is important, you need to take steps forward, not back." 

I agreed with her and we went on to close out the session, I even made another appointment with the receptionist. Morning sessions are my favorite, it just puts a good start to my day, also, it's therapy, and I don't have to show up looking put together, so I can leave from the appointment for my run, taking work clothes with me and showering at the gym in the office building. Planning ahead, go Kam. 

It's now been a couple weeks since my dates with Ben and weekend with my family and I was starting to go a little stir crazy. I needed to get out and do something, but I didn't my new world to revolve around Ben, I needed other friends, I couldn't let myself be defined by another relationship. Independence is what were seeking here. I didn't necessarily want to be friends with my boss, but this was just a temp job, until I got the studio in a stable enough place to be able to fully support myself off of it. Of course, the alimony helped that, but I didn't want to use that money, it was just going into a bank account, untouched, a back up plan just incase I needed it, which I don't, I didn't really even want it, I didn't want any connection to Eric anymore, but this was just a cushion. 

Fridays are the toughest in the office, no one's motivated to finish the work day, the often stiff and quiet work area was bustling and filled with laughter. The constant sight of people standing at the wrong desk, people at my desk. 

Michelle, my boss, saunters over, smirking over at me. She's going to do it again, hassle me to come out with her and some other people from work, its a Friday tradition, she comes over, invites me out, I make up an excuse and I never go. Except this time, I'm going to one up her and actually agree. Not really caring what the plans would be. 

"Hey, Kam, We're going to Hal's tonight, I know, I know, I gave the bar shit before but it wasn't my time to pick it was Don's." You've gotta be kidding me.