Chapter Nine

Streaks of sunlight penetrate the window as I blink, close my eyes, and blink again. The only sound I hear is the sound of birds outside. I want to stand but my legs give way to gravity and I collapse. I blink as the blurriness fades from my vision and surroundings become clearer. My grip on the bed rail is so tight that my knuckles are white. I try to get to my feet again, but gravity stands in my way. This time before I can hit the floor, a familiar pair of arms circles around my waist.

"Easy there, gorgeous," Seth says.

Seth helps me back onto the bed and I try to take some deep and steadying breaths.

"I'm fine. I'm fine," I gasp, waving him off.

"You're not. You feel from a second story window."

"Really, I am. I'm just having...having some trouble bre...breathing," I gasp out.

As if summoned by magic, Carlisle appears at my side. Before I can protest, he fits an oxygen mask over my face.

"Deep breaths, Mia."

I nod and inhale as he continues to check my vitals. Seth intertwines my fingers with his and I squeeze his hand in reassurance. After a few minutes, Carlisle removes the mask and asks me to breathe on my own. I take a few deep breaths as he listens. After a few minutes, he nods in satisfaction.

"Good, your breathing is back to normal. I would suggest not attempting to walk on your own again. At least not for a few days, your body is still in recovery," Carlisle says.

"So, what happens next?" I ask.

"You recover. A discussion on what happened can wait until you are back on your feet."

"But..."

"Doctor's orders," Carlisle says.

I sigh or rather sigh as best as I can since sighing feels like a stab to the gut. Carlisle leaves and Seth takes a seat in the chair next to the bed. His gaze wanders over me like he is terrified that any moment I will fade from existence. He runs his hand through his hair before shaking his head and scoffing.

"What?" I ask.

"You have no idea how much I love you, do you?" he asks.

"What are you talking about?"

"I thought I had lost you. I thought you were dead, that I had just watched you die. I felt so...so..."

He closes his fist before opening it again, "helpless. I felt helpless."

"Seth..."

"You risked your life for me."

"You would have done the same thing," I say.

Seth shakes his head, "it's not the same."

"Why isn't it?"

Seth stands up and starts pacing the floor. He is mumbling to himself as if he is trying to talk to himself into saying what he wants to say. He finally stops at the end of the bed, his gaze locking onto mine.

"It's not the same because you can live without me, but I can't... I can't live without you."

"Seth..."

He holds up a hand, "let me finish."

I nod for him to continue and he takes a deep breath.

"You can live without me, but I can't live without you because I don't want to. You are my everything, Mia. Believe me, I know how intense that sounds but it's true. Without you, I would be...I would be lost. Our connection is a lot more than just two kids in love. It's...it's almost fundamental to my existence. I would do anything for you, be anything for you...I..."