9

Matty's POV

"Do you want to come over?" I ask Candace, who just finished her smoothie bowl.

"What about work?" She asks with a knowing smile.

"I think I deserve a day to myself. And to you, of course." I tell her with a smile.

"Well, that sounds great. I would love to come over. I haven't ever seen your apartment. Well, with stuff in it." She laughs.

She's right. I remember Face timing her when I had just moved in. The open space was completely empty. I had a blow up mattress and a small lamp. That was it. She only saw that.

"It looks pretty different from the last time you saw it." I laugh as I stand up from the seat. I reach for her hand and help her up. She gladly accepts it and gives me a small smile.

"Leaving so soon?" Justin asks from behind us.

"Yeah, I think so. We're going to go and watch a movie or something." I tell him.

"Well, have fun. But...not too much fun. Or have too much fun, I don't care." He says quietly to me.

"I literally hate you so much right now." I laugh, but honestly kind of like the idea of him thinking Candace and I are more than I am putting us off to be.

"See you later, man. Have a good one." He laughs, waving us off.

When we get out into the cold air, I see Candace shiver slightly.

"Do you want my coat?" I ask, already shrugging it off.

"No, then you'll be cold." She tells me.

"I don't care. It's right up the street. I'll be fine." I tell her, wrapping her small frame in my pea coat.

"Are you sure?" She asks, but I know she doesn't want to give up the jacket.

"I'm positive. I already see the building. We'll be there in like a minute." I assure her.

As we approach my building, I begin to anticipate the warmth that walking in will bring. I know everyone keeps those heaters on high during this time of the year. Right now, I'm thankful for that. I walk into the doors quickly, and the warmth is even better than I imagines. Candace shrugs off my coat and hands it to me, laughing at me while I blow into my hands, trying to warm them up.

"Starting to regret taking your coat off?" She laughs.

"Nope. You're warm, aren't you?" I ask.

"Yes."

"Then I'm positive it was a good idea." I assure her. "We just need to run up and let Holly know what's going on. It shouldn't take long, and she'll be glad to have the day off." I tell her.

"Does she work a lot?" Candace asks as we walk towards the elevator.

"She works way more than I do, honestly. She arrives at the office when I arrive, and she leaves when I leave. But, sometimes there are things that need to be done after hours and she will work from home. I'll get in the next morning and she will have a pile of things that she completed the night before. It's a pretty easy job, but she goes above and beyond. She definitely set the bar for whoever my next assistant is." I tell her.

The thought of finding a replacement for Holly kind of stresses me out, but I know she'll train then up to expectations.

"Is she leaving?"

"Not quite. I have decided to promote her, actually. She's going to move up to Media and Advertisement. She will be perfect for the job." I say with a smile.