31

Truthfully, this hour is the longest hour of my fucking life. As I pick at the skin around my nails, I try my hardest to think of what the hell I'm going to tell him.

"Hey, dad. I think you should know that mom is cheating on you. Sorry."

"Hey, dad. I know that I have harassed you for cheating on mom for years now. Sorry about that, because apparently she's the one cheating on you."

"Dad, divorce your wife because you both seem to have habits of cheating on one another."

Although every single one of these statements are true, I can't break it to him this way. None of these ways would actually be the best way to do this. I have no idea what the right way to do this is. I hate my mom for putting me in this situation. Why can't these two just leave one another like any other normal relationship would do? Clearly they both can't stay loyal.

I hear footsteps approach my office and see my dad's silhouette through the frosted window of my door. He knocks gently and then opens the door.

"Hey, dad." I say, sitting upright in my chair the moment he steps in. He's looking at me cautiously, and steps over by my desk.

"Hey, son." He says, confused as to why I'm acting so weird. I extend my arm out and motion for to take a seat.

"Please, sit." I insist. He takes a seat in one of the small chairs placed directly in front of my desk.

"So, are we having a meeting or?" He asks, trying to make a joke. I let out a nervous laugh and don't even know what to say.

"Not quite." I say. "Dad, I don't know how to even tell you this." I sigh.

"I know, Matty." He exhales.

"No, you don't understand-" I start before he holds his hand up to stop me.

"No, I do. I understand what this is about." He sighs, shaking his head and dropping it into his hand. "Did she tell you or did you walk in on it happening?" He asks.

For a moment, I am completely and utterly at a loss for words. There is no way in hell he could possibly know this. There just isn't any way that could be possible.

"Mom is cheating on you." I blurt out and finally look up to see his expression. He doesn't look phased by my words at all. He doesn't look surprised or hurt.

"I know." He mumbles.

"She's cheating on you with-"

"Christy, I know." He finishes for me.

"How do you know? Did she tell you?" I ask, surprised by all of this.

"I've known this for a long time, Matty. Longer than you can imagine." He informs me.

"How long has this been going on? How long has this...is mom a lesbian now?" I ask, really trying to process all of this. I am completely taken aback by all of this. He is calm right now. He is way too fucking calm.

"This has been going on for at least...five or six years now." He says, thinking about how long it has been before answering.

"Six years? Mom has been fucking around with Christy for six fucking years now?" I yell.

"Yes." He says with a disappointed head nod.

"How did you find out? How long have you known this? Why the fuck are you two still married if you both are cheating on each other?" I yell out. I'm honestly not mad about this, I'm just...surprised. Actually, I am taken completely off guard.