15. A Vast Majority of This Chapter is Ray and Dez Fangirling

The small group of five carefully trudged through the woods. They stepped over the small limbs that had fallen from the trees. The leaves crunched underneath their boots, and occasionally they had to reach up to push some of the greenery away so that they could pass.

"What exactly are we looking for?" Leonard asked.

Deserey shrugged. "A journal hidden in the trees?"

Leonard raised an eyebrow at her, clearly not understanding her reference to Gravity Falls.

She smirked walking forward. So far, today had been much better than the previous night. Deserey figured Leonard, Mick, and Rip were probably thinking their troubles were over. That her suicidal thoughts, her depression was long gone. That maybe it was just a one time thing.

But she also knew that it was never a one time thing. It always came back, just like a boomerang. It didn't matter how hard or far she threw it, it always came back. One day she would be on the verge of offing herself, unable to move, not even to eat or shower. All she could do was lay and bed, cry, and sleep. She'd feel useless, hate herself. Sometimes she would even try to kill herself.

Then, the next she would be perfectly fine again. Numb, mostly, but fine. She would get up, go to work, run through the motions like everyone else; she might spend the day longing to climb back into her bed and sleep for ten years, but she would be fine. Sometimes, she even managed to smile and joke around, like she was now.

This was why most people assumed she was just faking it for attention. In their minds depression was nothing more than a constant sadness. An emotion. But that's not how it worked. You had good days and bad days. Sometimes you can deny that anything was wrong, that you were normal, happy even. Then, when the bad days struck, you realized just how alone and afraid you really are. Though, Deserey never really blamed people for their ignorance. You couldn't possibly understand such things until you've experienced them first hand.

Rip ducked under a tree limb, letting out a small, thoughtful hum. "Well it's no journal but..." He nodded to a crater that had been formed.

It was a hole, ten feet wide all around. Deserey couldn't tell how deep it was, but she guessed it had to at least be a foot. The group stepped closer, careful not to trip and fall inside.

Below, in the center of the crater, was a massive, black rock the size of a boulder. There was an odd, blue substance glowing upon its surface, like maybe it was something out of this world. "So...aliens, right?" Deserey guessed. "That's what's causing all these monsters?"

"Or Savage is using their technology to create them, at least," Ray said. "Well...probably. I mean, I'm just guessing that he has something to do with it. I guess we won't know for sure until --"

"Logan and the others figure out the connection between the vics?" Deserey interrupted.

The men looked at her for moment, frowning in confusion, before they realized she was talking about Stein. Ray nodded. "It's actually Martin, but -- Wait. Do you mean Logic?"

Deserey grinned. "I didn't think you were gonna get it."

Ray smiled a big broad, dorky smile. "That actually makes a lot of sense." He frowned curiously for a second. "I wonder if he likes Crofters."

Deserey clapped her hands in excitement, startling Leonard and Rip. "We have to get him to eat it. If we do anything on this mission. We have to do that!"

"Definitely," Ray agreed. "But wait. If Stein is Logan then who's the other three?"

Deserey leaned on the nearest tree, tapping her chin thoughtfully. "Well, I'm Roman, of course, because I like art. You're Patton. Obviously. Not sure about Virgil though..."