33. Enter Hawkwoman

Super, super short chapter cause I think I lost my mojo

---

Carter managed to grab one of the weapons from the shattered cases -- a long knife made of golden jewels.

He held it up as Savage advanced on him, swinging to block his next attack, but it did him little good.

Savage grabbed the blade of the knife, not even flinching when blood began seeping out from the palm of his hand. He flipped the knife around so he was holding the hilt instead.

Carter kicked him back, which turned out to be a mistake. A sharp pain shot up his leg, courtesy of the bullet wound injury he'd gotten from the labs, and he only managed to move Savage back the slightest bit.

He screamed in pain, his hand instinctively going to the injury on his leg.

Savage raised the knife, preparing to stab him, and Carter, in spite of himself, flinched as he waited for it to come.

This was it. He was sure. This was how he was going to die. Not even a heroic death or anything like a few previous life times. Nope. Just cowering and being pathetic.

Only it didn't happen. Savage suddenly froze in the middle of his action, a big ugly smirk forming on his face like he'd just won the lottery.

Carter's heart sank. He knew that look. He'd seen it enough times to recognize it -- it was that look Savage always got when he got the chance to Kendra and him at the same time.

He wasn't sure how the others could have possibly found the place so quickly, but the thought of Savage getting anywhere near Kendra set him off again.

Carter lunged for Savage, using his wings to propel himself with a much faster speed.

He punched Savage, sending him stumbling a few feet; but when he landed again, Carter's injured leg gave out. He fell, wincing in pain.

Savage moved forward and grabbed Carter by the throat, cutting off his air supply. He slammed him into the wall and pinned him there, readying the knife to stab him again.

With a smirk Savage, sneered, "Change of plans. I'm not going to kill you yet. First, I'll show her what a real man looks like. And I'll make you watch. Perhaps, in your next life, then, you may actually be worthy of her."

The firey rage ignited again, but there wasn't anything he could do about it now. Carter's vision was blurring as he struggled to get air to his lungs. He swung out weakly, but he didn't hit anything.

Savage dropped him roughly. Carter coughed and gasped for breath. "You're not going to touch her!"

Savage merely smirked and calmly said, "I already have."

Carter glared at him and tried to get to his feet again, only to immediately fall back down, grimacing as needles fired through his legs. He grit his teeth, cursing under his breath.

Savage seemed to find the whole thing amusing. Like aw look at this poor pathetic guy trying so hard.It just pissed Carter off even more.

"Oh, I do love it when the roles are reversed." The voice brought both men's attention towards the door, both blanching with shock.

Apparently whatever force granted Savage the ability to sense Chay-Ara didn't also grant him the ability which version of her it was.

Because the woman standing in the doorway was not Kendra, and she did not have the Legends with her.

Instead, she stood by her lonesome, a small smirk spread across her soft pink lips. Her skin was smooth, lighter than most of her other incarnations.

Her hair was tossed over one shoulder, that shade that he could never really place. Brown? Red? He wasn't sure which it was, but it had always been stunning.