Chapter 36

I'm going to be honest, I'm still not sure about this chapter. I don't know how to fix it either. I want the plot to move forward but it can't yet so I'm stuck in this weird filler spot. I don't know maybe I just fast forward to the meeting on Friday? I don't know, but the book is coming to an end guys and It's bitter sweet. I'm excited to finish it, but I don't want the book to be over. I know that there won't be a sequel because It's not that kind of book, but maybe I'll try and hammer out Passing through after this.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Edits were made to the last chapter that you might want to know about. Duncan was way more vicious in the conversation that set Oli off because it was like Oliver was waaay overreacting and it made no sense. I mean, Oliver has to be moody because of the overexposure to sunlight, but it was too moody, you know?

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy the chapter!! :D

Duncan came by again, but I didn't reply to him when he greeted me. He pulled up the chair and threw something on me. It was cold. I looked at it and realized it was a medical bag of blood. I threw it to the side. I was hungry, but I could wait. There was no way I was accepting blood from him again.

He sighed, clearly annoyed, "God, you're so damn moody. Just drink." I turned away. I was done with his anger. He sat there for a minute before sniffing, "Did you hurt your leg or something? I can smell some blood."

He went to check them but I sat up and growled, "Don't touch me." I was still so mad at him.

He furrowed his perfect eyebrows, "Oh, you're feisty today." I went back to ignoring him. He groaned, "I hate doing this. Look, I know you're mad because I'm mean to you, but what did you actually expect? Too much has happened between us."

I thought about what I wanted to say next, "I beg to differ. I think we have too much space between us." He seemed to be deep in thought as he fidgeted with his hands. He seemed sad actually. It was as if my loss meant anything to him. I turned around and gave him one last chance. "I'm sorry for everything I did to you, okay? I can't change the past, but I'm done with your torture. I'm done feeling guilty for the past."

He nodded and bit his lip. He was clearly torn between moving forward and staying stuck in the past. I felt for him. Sometimes getting out of the past was hard because it was almost addictive. It was addictive to feel so angry about something like that. He sighed, "Yeah. I can understand that. Look, my clan and my people see me a s a ruthless leader who'll do anything to get what he wants. Being in any kind of relationship won't fit that.

"My people call me the dark prince because they think I have an evil inside of me so I used it to my advantage and I created a persona for myself. Being in a gay relationship won't fit my reputation well either."

"We're in quite the predicament." He shook his head. "What do we do?"

I shrugged, "The queen will come after everyone we care about if she finds out about us. She'll come at us with all she's got. Besides, just because we're mates doesn't mean we need to be together...right?"

"I won't do anything with you until she's gone. You know that right? I can't be distracted and you can't either."

I nodded, "Oh yeah, for sure. I hadn't planned on it, but can we at least call it a truce?"

He fidgeted with his hands for a minute, "You know I'm a dick right?"

I laughed, "All too well."

"And I'm hard to be around?"

"Yep."

"And I'm arrogant and rude."

"I know, Duncan. I know."