Chapter 16

The Bat-family was watching the meeting between Damian and Ra's al Ghul. They were up in the rafters of the warehouse, waiting for Damian's signal. "Why do we have to hide up here?" Jason asked quietly.

"Because Jason, we couldn't risk the Joker finding us if he was patrolling the ground," Bruce whispered angrily. Suddenly Damian yelled, "Tim!". The Bat-family rushed to the edge of the rafter. They could see Tim. The first signal had been sent.

They watched as the conversation between Damian and his grandfather dragged on. Then, a contract and pen appeared. They watched as Ra's al Ghul gave it to Damian, "What's happening?" Dick asked, looking over at Bruce.

"It's a contract that binds people to the League of Shadows. We have to get Tim and Damian out of there. No-!" Jason whispered urgently. They all froze when they heard the cocking of a gun. They turned around to see the Joker, holding a gun to Jason's head.

"Don't move Batsy, or this one might die under you watch twice," The Joker laughed. His finger was poised on the trigger, ready to shoot.

"Joker!" Batman growled.

Jason's eyes were wide under his mask as the events of his death started to flood his mind. His breath became labored and the Joker's laughter rose in volume once again. "Don't do this Joker," The Joker pressed the gun farther into Jason's head, "We'll come with you, just don't hurt him," Bruce told him, gesturing to the people around him.

"Awww! How sweet! The big bad Batman wants to protect his flock!" The Joker said. Bruce lowered his head, too ashamed to look at his family. He had surrendered. He didn't even put up a fight. He had let down Tim. He had let down Damian. He was supposed to rescue them. He had failed. Joker threw Jason on the ground and Dick quickly scrambled over to help him up.

The Joker led the heroes down to the warehouse floor. Damian was on the ground, his sword beside him. Blood was pouring out of a wound on his arm. While they were distracted, Damian must have started a fight. A fight he knew he would lose. Tim was strapped to a chair, unconscious, bruised, and bloody, but alive.

"Look at that! The family's all here!" Ra's al Ghul smiled wide. He was holding his sword, blood was dripping off of the blade.

"Why? Why bring all of us here when you're just going to kill us?" Bruce asked curiously.

"I never wanted to kill you, you are a respectable enemy. I just needed you for the next phase of my plan," Ra's al Ghul explained.