Chapter 5: Midnight Memories

I quietly shut my bedroom door and wince as the floor creaks under neath me. I meant it when I said I was going to meet up with JC. I quietly sneak past my brothers room and head down the stairs. I grab my shoes off the rug in the kitchen and glance at the clock to see its about 4 in the morning. I pull on my black converse and sneak out of the house. I send a quick text to Crawford letting him know that I've left. When he doesn't reply in at least 5 minutes I assume he is asleep.

I sigh shoving my phone in the pocket of my black hoodie and pull the hood up. Now that I'm out of the house, I only have one problem. Where does JC live? Well if Kians gang is on the east side of town then JC's gang has to be on the west side. Good thing we live near the middle of town where the tracks divide the two sides of town.

As I approach the tracks, I glance up at the stars shining in the sky and sigh. This was a stupid idea, but I need to see JC and ask him why he keeps showing up.

As soon as my feet hits the other side of the tracks I feel like I'm in a foreign territory, because I usually never go outside of my brothers turf unless its for school.

"Stop or I'll shoot." I hear someone say. fuck!

"Please don't shoot!" I say raising my hands slowly.

"Slowly turn around." the voice commands.

i slowly turn to see a guy in black standing there pointing a gun in my direction. From where I'm standing he doesn't look much older than me.

"I'm Kenzie." I slowly say not wanting to anger the kid.

"Well Kenzie you are clearly on the wrong turf." The guy says walking closer, causing me to notice he is wearing all black and sunglasses.

"I'm sorry. I got lost." I quickly lie. Maybe this kid will lead me to JC

"You got so lost you crossed the tracks onto our turf?" I hear another voice. I turn my head to see Ricky.

"Ricky!"I cry out as the other kid lowers his gun.

"Oh good lord. Kenzie what are you doing here? Trying to get JC into more trouble?" Ricky crosses his arms.

"I got him in trouble?" I ask sadly.

"Yeah after we left the party, your brother sent someone to tell JC to stay away from you and when he refused they tried to shoot him." Ricky narrows his eyes.

"oh my god is he alright!?" I ask my hand flying to my mouth.

"Just go home Kenzie and stay away from JC before you get him killed." the guy with the gun says.

"I can't do that..." I say standing my ground.

"Wow, you really are Kian's sister. Reckless as shit." Ricky shakes his head.

"She's Kians sister!?" the kid with the gun asks.

"Yes, Cameron." Ricky sighs.

"We could use her as leverage against Kian." Cameron says taking a step closer to me.

"Stay away from me." I say backing up.

"Cam, don't be stupid. Put the gun down." Ricky says.

"Nah, I'm sick of JC calling me stupid. I'm going to show him how useful I am." Cameron says aiming the gun at me.

I wince as I hear a gun go off. I expect to fall to my death but instead I hear Cameron cry out.

"Let's go." a gruff voice says grabbing my hand and pulling me into the trees.

"Who are you!?" I ask running behind the mysterious guy, not by choice but because his vice grip on my wrist is ridiculously tight.

"Doesn't matter." he pulls me into a clearing and we run across the train tracks and onto my brothers turf.

I scream as a gunshot goes off behind me. He curses and tells me to run faster. For a second I thought I would be okay, that is until I trip and hit my head on the concrete.

"Kenzie!?" the guy asks worried.

The last thing before it goes black is a gorgeous pair of brown eyes.