Nightmare

Lydia twist and turn in her sleep, finally waking up, she screamed.

On the other bed, Sabrina sat up immediately, "What happened?!" Sabrina threw her covers aside and went over to her cousin's bed.

Lydia, who was always strong, cool, and collected was now looking terrified sweating and curled up hugging her knees close to her chest.

Sabrina helped Lydia out of bed and they walked rapidly to Zelda's bedroom. Sabrina opened the door, "Aunt Zee!"

Zelda immediately sat up and dropped the book. Zelda walked to help her daughter to sit on the bed looking at Sabrina, "What happened?!" Zelda demanded.

"I have no idea, I woke up to her screaming…" Sabrina sighs.

"Thank you, Sabrina." Zelda nods grateful for her niece's fast thinking.

Sabrina left to go back to her own room, Zelda went to tuck her daughter in.

This wasn't normal whenever Lydia had a nightmare she just goes back to sleep.

Lydia hadn't had a nightmare this intense since she was five.

"Don't leave me, mom." Lydia begged.

Zelda held her daughter's hand. "At times like this I envy Diana," Zelda whispered.

Lydia just closed her eyes, she had a memory of her mother being in her childhood room back in New York. Zelda had always watched Lydia "sleep". Lydia would pretend to sleep to get away from her dad's sister and mother; Aunt Shelby and  Grandma Ruth. Man! Were they cruel to Lydia! They would always threaten to throw her in the oven when her dad wasn't home. "Witches are to be burned!" they would snarled while Lydia cried.

It was a nightmare and when Ruth died when Lydia was five, the terrible nightmares stopped because Shelby also left. Now, because of her daughter the nightmares came back only now, it wasn't her that was being baked in the oven it was her child, while she watched in horror as the baby cried in pain.

Lydia always cried for Zelda after each time she had that nightmare.

Zelda held her daughter close smoothening her hair to calm her down.